Watching .AVI on Acer A500Support

1. Haysie

Haysie New Member

Hi All

I just purchased an Acer A500 tablet. I want to watch .AVI files and have a couple of questions.

Rockplayer works well, but I cannot access my micro SD card. Am I doing something wrong?

I tried Moboplayer, which I can access the Micro SD card but I get no sound.

Can anyone help?

Advertisement
  2. Mikkopentti

Mikkopentti Member

Hey! I can't give you any specific aid on the issue. Have you tried MX Video Player however? I've used it and it's been working so far. Not sure about the SD card access though.
  3. splatoid

splatoid Well-Known Member

I use Vplayer and I watch my movies from both internal and SD card.
    You have to set it up at start but is easy to do. Great player also.
  4. botzgori

botzgori Member

I also having problem with my xvid from usb, it can play fine from pre installed player but w/ no sound. I dont use micro sd. Any apps that you can suggest? Ty

ps
    Unrooted a500
  5. therealpersona

therealpersona New Member

I created an account to answer your question. In rockplayer, go to settings then select Root Folder, and enter "/" as the value.
    When you browse through the folder structure, go into /mnt/external_sd and you'll the video files.

The best encoding scheme is .mp4. You can convert files quickly with Handbrake if desired. I find 720p mp4 in hardware decode mode to be excellent on battery life -- much better than a standard resolution avi under the software rendering mode. I watched a two hour movie in 720p with rockplayer and my battery only dropped from 86% to 65%.
  6. taeman22

taeman22 New Member

Use mx player if there is no sound choose the s/w decoder. The default is h/w decoder. I think that's software and hardware. On the SD card I use the oi file manager and choose mnt(mount) choose external SD. Hope this helps.
  7. ggkthnx

ggkthnx Member

I had this same issue, and found Moboplayer does work if you go into the settings and check "Default Using Soft-Decoding". That fixed it for me. Able to watch movies off my USB drive with sound.

Hope this helps :)
  8. Flashrat

Flashrat Member

I had some problems with the A500 not wanting to play .avi files. I loaded free QQPlayer from Androlib, and it works well with watching an .avi from my usb stick, so I assume it should also work from the SD card.
  9. igorgor

igorgor New Member

Hi, my Acer iconia 500 cannot play avi format. I tried all possible players, installed all required codecs. I keep getting message: cannot play this format. Any ideas? Thank you.
  10. MahaloCat

MahaloCat Well-Known Member

Mx player with mx arm7 codecs...works...promise
  11. Jackson1

Jackson1 Member

Mine has always played .AVI files through the stock player no sweat. I use Mobo and MX PLayer though as they handle all the different rip variations.

There is something wrong with your Tablet. Try clearing the data on the apps not functioning. Try uninstalling them and reinstall. Make sure you have the correct codecs for Mobo and MX. This should be easy as it prompts you which one to get the first time you install then open the player.

All else fails wipe the thing and start again.:mad:
  12. JoeyDVDZ

JoeyDVDZ Member

In MX player, you can long press the name of the file, and the top option lets you choose software decoding instead of hardware. Apparently the iconia doesn't play nice with avi with hw decoding.