Watching movies from SD cardSupport

1. mched

mched Well-Known Member

I just updated my Xoom to 3.2

I am trying to watch movies on my Xoom that I now have on my SD card.
    When my videos were on the xoom I was using mvideo player, the gallery app and the newer videos app and they all worked flawlessly. Now those same apps do not work when trying to access the movies from the SD card.
    The "videos" app shows the movies but won't play them same goes for the gallery app. The mvideo app can't even find them.
    I would think that the stock apps that came on the Xoom would be able to just play the movies, but that does not seem to be the case. (at least for me)

I also have all 3 apps on my phone (HTC Incredible) and they work without any issues.

Any ideas as to why I'm having these problems?
    Thanks in advance.

Advertisement
    zardoz likes this.
  2. zardoz

zardoz Well-Known Member

I was looking in this forum for the same question. My intent was to get a 32gb card this weekend and load it up with movies, but I won't if that won't work.

Can someone 'splain to me what good the sdcard slot is, if you can't write to it unless it's plugged into your PC, and applications can't read from it (or correct me if I'm not understanding) ?
  3. marctronixx

marctronixx Moderator Moderator

hi,

very lengthy discussion about this elsewhere on this forum. it boils down to how honeycomb sets up the card. YES you will have to connect (like the ipad?) to a computer to add movies.

i use wifi file explorer. is allows one to use your LAN connection wirelessly to transfer , etc.

i use it with the evo 3D and the xoom. i also have a 32gb card.
    zardoz likes this.
  4. zardoz

zardoz Well-Known Member

Thanks!
    I looked around in the forums, and I see info about the card and mounting etc, but didn't see anything about the issue of playing movies from the card- does it work? I'm using the standard gallery movie player and also 'mobile player'.
  5. marctronixx

marctronixx Moderator Moderator

yes you can play files form the SD card.

Dice player is the top player out right now.
    zardoz likes this.
  6. halfasleep

halfasleep Member

It's because the sdcard is read only on the xoom. That's why you can't play movies.
  7. lotus49

lotus49 Well-Known Member

But the OP is trying to read the files (to play them) not to write to them so I don't understand why being read-only should stop him (or her, I didn't check) playing them.
  8. ypatel

ypatel New Member

Can you guys please help me!!...

when i transfer movies to my samsung galaxy s2 storage USB storage i am able to play them. BUT when i transfer the vidoe files to my SD card i am not able to play the files from my SD card on my phone?

so what's the probem here?

thanks