Watching movies on Droid

Last Updated:

1. wallstreet123456

wallstreet123456 Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I am wanting to take a movie I have on DVD and put it on my droid to make the morning train comute a little nice.

I found a product called Clone DVD mobile which I think will do this but do I need to download a program on the droid to view it?

Are there any steps available for downloading files to the droid and how to view them?

Advertisement
  2. jackburnt

jackburnt Well-Known Member

I recommend Handbrake. It does a wonderful job of converting videos/DVDs to MP4 files.

3. wallstreet123456

Once they are converted how do I.

1. get the file to the phone?

2. What program on the phone will allow me to watch the film?

4. jfe

jfe Well-Known Member

Mount th SD card
    I created a folder called videos
    Open gallery, look for the videos folder and you should be able to see it in there

5. wallstreet123456

Do I need to download some type of player to watch them?

6. CobaltDragon

CobaltDragon Well-Known Member

no, it's built-in

7. mswhite60

mswhite60 Well-Known Member

8. katahdin

katahdin Well-Known Member

Follow-up ques:

. I have several mp4 on the SD - but gallery doesn't display the file name - only the opening screen as the icon, so I get frustrated trying to find which one I want to watch.

. One movie is gladiator which I never saw, so I settled in my airplane seat fired it up (after searching as above) but opening scenes is text history that is so small that I could not read it.

Any solutions? TIA

9. tallelf78

tallelf78 Well-Known Member

anyone else get crazy battery life while watching videos? i was able to watch 2 full length films and my battery was still at 60% (all radios were turned off since i was on a plane)

10. jfe

jfe Well-Known Member

Drives me nuts that I cannot see the names

As far as the video, this is the information I got on another forum on how to format your videos

https://supportforums.motorola.com/thread/16659?tstart=0

So far, I loaded Sleeping Beauty and Up (it's great to keep my daughter entertained) and they look great

11. GorillaTheHutt

GorillaTheHutt Well-Known Member

for the first issue, you can use a file explorer like ASTRO File Manager to navigate to your video directory on your SD card, then watch the movies by clicking on them there.

for the second issue, make sure when you encode videos for Droid, you use a high resolution encoding -- the droid supports up to 854 x 480, and the extra resolution might make it easier to see text. i've had no problem reading subtitles on some other movies i encoded...just make sure you aren't encoding to iPhone default resolution, which will be lower quality.

i, too, have noticed the battery life is surprisingly long for video playback. On a cross-country flight I watched video for 3-4 hours and listened to music for 1-2 hours, and the battery was not even half gone!

12. Bullitproof

Bullitproof New Member

I use dvd catalyst for conversion and act1 player for playback. Catalyst is super fast but can use a lot of ur resources when converting. Act1 put all my files in easy to read folders like movies, youtube videos, etc.

13. Bullitproof

Bullitproof New Member

Not sure if handbrake does but dvd catalyst has a droid setting for conversion.