• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Watching Video on Eris

timmywa

Feb 12, 2010
Utah
kxrtonline.com
I'd like this device to completely replace my iPod. The one thing I can see right now that prevents this total conversion is watching movies.

I can convert videos to AVI or MP4 or whatever format, but is there a player that this phone can use or already has to let me watch a movie?

I haven't seen much talk of video other than YouTube and tv.com, and what have you. I'd like to know how to watch full-length movies on my Eris.

Whatever help you all have will be appreciated. I have 2.1.3 Leak.

Thanks!

^^ What he said.

I actually recommend Handbrake, as it works for both Windows and Mac. Convert it to MP4 and just toss it on your card and it will play if you select it from the Photo Album under videos.

I had a friend transfer movies from his palm, to his computer, to my friends MOTO droid, movies worked great. HOWEVER, When the process was done to my Droid Eris, it won't work. These movies ARE MP4 files. Everytime i try it says...

"Cannot play video- Sorry, this video cannot be played."

I have downloaded apps to see if that would change such as mVideoPlayer and VideoPlayer. Still receive error message. Performed soft reset. NO LUCK.

Please HELP!

Upvote 0
I had a friend transfer movies from his palm, to his computer, to my friends MOTO droid, movies worked great. HOWEVER, When the process was done to my Droid Eris, it won't work. These movies ARE MP4 files. Everytime i try it says...

"Cannot play video- Sorry, this video cannot be played."

I have downloaded apps to see if that would change such as mVideoPlayer and VideoPlayer. Still receive error message. Performed soft reset. NO LUCK.

Please HELP!

I'd bet money that the files are not encoded properly for the Eris. MP4 is a container, and it holds video and audio streams that can be encoded in billions of different ways. It is really easy to come up with a perfectly good MP4 files that would play on your PC, or even on another device, and yet not play on an android phone. Heck, I've done it.

My recommendation is to try out some of the recommendations from people here on getting movies onto the phone. Ditch your friend's files, and start from scratch with the DVD and the software mentioned. I used Handbrake and the iPhone preset. It works great for me.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones