Watching Video on ErisGeneral

Last Updated:

1. timmywa

timmywa Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I'd like this device to completely replace my iPod. The one thing I can see right now that prevents this total conversion is watching movies.

I can convert videos to AVI or MP4 or whatever format, but is there a player that this phone can use or already has to let me watch a movie?

I haven't seen much talk of video other than YouTube and tv.com, and what have you. I'd like to know how to watch full-length movies on my Eris.

Whatever help you all have will be appreciated. I have 2.1.3 Leak.

Thanks!

Advertisement
  2. andrizoid

andrizoid Well-Known Member

you have to download the movie on your computer but you can use videora for android to convert it to a file type that your phone will play. after converted the native gallery app will play it just fine

3. smacky

smacky Banned

^^ What he said.

I actually recommend Handbrake, as it works for both Windows and Mac. Convert it to MP4 and just toss it on your card and it will play if you select it from the Photo Album under videos.

4. jrc_vines

jrc_vines Member

After intensive searching i found a great program that works great for me, and its free.
    Its called Dvd Catalyst.
    Go to Tools4Movies, Official home of DVD Catalyst
    Theres an preset for the Droid Eris screen size and i bump up the quality a little bit to prevent audio lag and it compresses the file down. Then just put it on your phone and it plays with the default video player.

5. andrizoid

andrizoid Well-Known Member

for mac i recommend tune4Mac video converter, but most people on here are running windows and i know that videora for android has presets for the eris.

6. timmywa

timmywa Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Thanks a ton!!

7. ddes0918

ddes0918 Member

I had a friend transfer movies from his palm, to his computer, to my friends MOTO droid, movies worked great. HOWEVER, When the process was done to my Droid Eris, it won't work. These movies ARE MP4 files. Everytime i try it says...

"Cannot play video- Sorry, this video cannot be played."

I have downloaded apps to see if that would change such as mVideoPlayer and VideoPlayer. Still receive error message. Performed soft reset. NO LUCK.

Please HELP!

8. brownikowskie

brownikowskie New Member

I'd bet money that the files are not encoded properly for the Eris. MP4 is a container, and it holds video and audio streams that can be encoded in billions of different ways. It is really easy to come up with a perfectly good MP4 files that would play on your PC, or even on another device, and yet not play on an android phone. Heck, I've done it.

My recommendation is to try out some of the recommendations from people here on getting movies onto the phone. Ditch your friend's files, and start from scratch with the DVD and the software mentioned. I used Handbrake and the iPhone preset. It works great for me.

9. ddes0918

ddes0918 Member

Do you think the file could be too big? The movie is 693MB

10. Houstatlanavegas

Houstatlanavegas Well-Known Member

Btw does anyone have a app to download movies straight to the phone or is that just wishful thinkin

11. aznguyen316

aznguyen316 Well-Known Member

so what video codec and audio work? I have a lot of avi files for my ZuneHD in xvid and mp3 which is perfect to just d/l and sync..

12. ddes0918

ddes0918 Member

all i know is that it's a mp4 file.

It works on every other phone, we have put it on all our co-workers phones and the movie works great. Does droid eris play mp4s? If so how do I get it to work? What program do I need? I need this given to me straight. How do i get mp4s to play on my device?

thanks

13. coolerinthecorner

coolerinthecorner Well-Known Member

I use Video Converter Portable and it works great. YES! Your eris plays MP4 files and NO the file is not too big. If you have the space on your card it should play just fine.