Water damage indicator problem

Last Updated:

1. Half-Mine

Half-Mine Member This Topic's Starter

So, I've been having random problems with my phone for a few months now. Nothing debilitating, but enough to cause a hassle. I took it into sprint to see if I could get a refurb or something, and when the tech opened it up, she noticed the water damage indicator was red. Now, not only do I know for sure the phone has never faced water damage, but the sticker on the battery is still in tact. I am one of many who suffer from dust under the cover, so I know that if dust can leak in, moisture would seep in even easier. I looked on ebay to find stickers that I could just replace, but couldn't find anything with the same design/size. Regardless, the Sprint store said there was nothing they could do. Is it worth calling their CS? In all actuality, I'd love it if Sprint would just allow me to upgrade to the Evo with their discount, but i'm sure that's not likely. Anyhow, any help would be greatly appreciated.

Advertisement
  2. Kelmar

Kelmar Done by choice VIP Member

What are some of your problems? Perhaps we can help without having to get the phone replaced.

3. tonyy1

tonyy1 Member

not to try to get around the system, but why not buy a new battery and then take it in for service? 44.99 is cheaper than a new phone not under warranty

4. Half-Mine

The battery indicator wasn't set off, so I wouldn't need to replace it. I just feel like I shouldn't have to pay anything, as I don't see that I'm at fault. As for what the problems are... They're kinda weird:
    My volume up button doesn't work properly. When I press it, the volume starts to raise, but then goes back down to the current level. When you hold it in, it mutes the sound entirely.
    My back button acts more as a home button than anything else (doesn't back out of programs and/or settings properly, it just takes you to the home screen). Also, when locked, pressing the back button or the search button twice unlocks the phone (which you can imagine is a PITA when you keep your phone in your pocket).
    Aside from that, the phone just seems laggier than it should be.

5. Kelmar

1.5 or 2.1? Try flashing the RUU and see if the problems return (you'll lose everything on your phone though).

6. Half-Mine

The problem started when i was running 1.5. I did a hard reset with no luck of fixing the issue. I then upgraded to the early leaked 2.1 with still no such luck. Then, just for kicks, I finished with the official release (nothing still). with all the software updates i'm convinced it's a hardware issue.

7. chawski

chawski Well-Known Member

Just out of curiosity, which sticker is red, bc on my phone (which was replaced yesterday by sprint) there are 2 stickers on the back inside of the phone. The one on the far bottom left is white with red cross hatches through it, and then one directly forward and right of that sticker is a plain white one. I assume only the plain white one is the water indicator, bc my phone came with the one on the bottom left being white wiht red crosshatches

8. Kelmar

White/red turns red when exposed to water. The white one covers a screw.

9. Half-Mine

The circular white one is a tamper-proof sticker and the rectangular one with the red hatches is the water damage indicator (i'm 90% certain). The indicator turns solid red when water is applied. I'll try and post a pic soon if it'd help

Sent from my HERO200 using Tapatalk

10. chawski

i wonder if covering the sticker with tape would be a good idea to keep it dry...

11. Half-Mine

Hind-sight is 20/20. I'm sure that would've at least slowed down the discoloring, however I'm pretty sure once they go red, they never return to white

12. chawski

well mine is brand new still, hasnt turned red yet or anything. just thinking ahead haha