1. Welcome to the newer, better version of Android Forums! Be sure to see the announcement and enjoy checking it out!

Some of you have been having login issues. - Please try now. Sorry for the trouble!
  2. All attachments uploaded on the first day of this new look need to be re-uploaded, or will appear broken. All prior to that, and all going forward, should work fine. We apologize for the inconvenience!

Support Water damage, menu and back buttons unresponsive

1. Zenben

Zenben New Member

So my SGS4 was submerged in a couple feet of water for about 5 seconds 3 days ago. I immediately removed the battery, SD, and SIM cards and put them in dry, uncooked rice for about 2 days. I turned it on yesterday, and the phone worked fine except for the fact that the menu and back buttons are unresponsive, though they still light up. I'm wondering if there's a way to fix this without having to replace the phone. Any help would be appreciated.

Advertisement
  2. voodoo86

voodoo86 Member

not really, it would involve replacing the button parts presuming these are whats at fault, even then you literally have to take the entire phone apart to get to them
  3. askhek

askhek Member

Sometimes it can take up to 4 days for the rice to fully dry out a phone. Each day move the phone in a different position to ensure all is draining out. Even a hint of water can make a part malfunction.
  4. lotus49

lotus49 Well-Known Member

Silica gel (the stuff that comes in little sachets when you get things like cameras etc) works better than rice so it may be worth trying that. It can take a long time to dry a phone completely.

You can buy big bags of it sold as cat litter. It's worth trying before you give up.

I also recall that there is an app that replicates the functionality of damaged hardware buttons with on-screen buttons but I cannot remember what it is called. I dare say you could track it down in the Play Store.