Water damage - what can I do?Support

Last Updated: 2011-12-20 12:27:33
  1. Ni Dieu Ni Maitre

Ni Dieu Ni Maitre Well-Known Member

So I stupidly managed to spill a cup of coffee on my GS2. I dried the hell out of it and it seems mostly okay now, but the bottom right corner of the phone (where the app tray icon is) seems to be a bit touchy. As in, sometimes it will activate on it's own.

My phone is rooted, so I'm not sure if my insurance or OEM warranty will cover the damage. Do I need to unroot and/or do something else to it? Should I cover it with rice?

I'm freaking out. Please advise (other than "don't keep open coffee mugs near your phone) :(

** EDIT: based on the fact that touchscreen functionality changes based on the position in which my phone in resting, I'm led to believe that there is a bit of liquid floating around inside. After lying it flat while I typed this post, the touch screen is jittery and largely unresponsive. The phone can tell that I'm touching the screen, but that's about it. The lock screen just sits there and shakes when I put my finger on it. I could be wrong, of course. Just a guess.

Advertisement
  2. CrimsonPride

CrimsonPride Well-Known Member

now that its been turned on there may not be a whole lot of hope, but the best thing you can do is take out the battery and stick it in a bag of rice for a day or 2, that will get all of the water out. if anything works that will, just have to hope there is no damage to any of the electrical parts
  3. j510

j510 Well-Known Member

leave it in a tupperware full of alcohol with the phone on for a day. quicker and works.
  4. Ni Dieu Ni Maitre

Ni Dieu Ni Maitre Well-Known Member

The idea of putting my phone into a tub of alcohol terrifies me.

That being said, I threw it in a bag of rice overnight and by a little after noon the next day, it's seemingly back to normal.
  5. Bennieboiy

Bennieboiy Member

Put it in rice for 2days with battery tooken out n screen faced up
  6. greggebhardt

greggebhardt Well-Known Member

wrap it is a couple sheets of paper towel BEFORE you bury it in rice! Please note this rice need to have come from a unopened container and have very low humidity. If not it will do little good.