Water DamageSupport

Last Updated:

1. jenkarthik

jenkarthik Member This Topic's Starter

I have recovered several water damaged phones and thought maybe this could help someone else :)

If its a toilet or some kind of non-chlorinated water, your phone most likely can recover.

First shake it out as best as you can. If it is not off turn it off.
    Put it in a bowl of rice for about 12 hours. (just with the back off and the battery removed)
    then disassemble your phone as far as you can. Take all pieces and set in the sun (preferably outside, unless you live in a humid climate)

Seriously do not try to reassemble for 2 days!!!! If you turn it on and any part is wet, you take the risk to short something out.

Reassemble and waaalaaaaa....

At least it works for me!!!!

Advertisement
  2. Lozer_Kid

Lozer_Kid Well-Known Member

Who's willing to do this before I decide that it's a good idea to try this!!! :cool: lol

3. Wiskid

Wiskid Well-Known Member

In theory, it should work. It's just like washing a wired keyboard in a dish washer. It will still work after its out of the dish washer, given that you let it dry out COMPLETELY before using it again...

4. V425

V425 Well-Known Member

My old LG Musiq even recovered after being swept up by a wave at the beach.

5. dmm5157

dmm5157 Well-Known Member

Dropped mine in a cup of water and put it in a baggie with dessicant. It worked about 6 hours later, but there was still moisture under the screen. I left it in the baggie over night and it was good as new by the morning (about 16 hours after originally dropping it in the water).

Dessicant works much better than rice and you can dry it out after it becomes saturated by putting the dessicant packages in the microwave for 20 seconds or so.

6. cooolone2

cooolone2 Well-Known Member

There's a product called "Damp-Rid", like those little silica packets shipped in electronic packages that you're not supposed to eat, lol, that would work well too. It's available at Home Depot & Lowe's... Certainly better than Rice.

Also, if ever this happens to you, pull the battery asap, don't bother touching buttons to try and turn phone off which might actually turn it on (even just the screen) and cause issues then.

:cool:

7. swinus

swinus New Member

if you can't find silica dessicant (sunday night & hardware store closed) then your all-nite supermarket may have silica-based cat litter, which is basically a damper variety (more paw-friendly). Dry a couple of cups in oven to get it back to the aggressively dry state, and wrap phone in paper towel to keep the granules out, then combine in a baggie

8. LBPHeretic

LBPHeretic Well-Known Member

In a pinch, a bag of dry rice will suck the moisture out too. Just put the handset in with the rice and seal it up for a day or two. ;)

I used this technique with a friend's MP3 player that had fallen into a sink and it worked perfectly. Rice really does go with everything. :D