• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Water Damage

RIch1

Lurker
Sep 10, 2013
Ok, so I was drunk. I jumped into a pool with my Samsung Galaxy S3 (Tmobile) still in my pocket. I immediately shut if off, removed SIM, SD card and battery and immersed it in a bowl of rice for 24 hours. I re-installed everything and to my surprise it turned on and seemed to be working. However, in the following days I noticed that I'm registering 4G and Data, yet unable to make calls. Weird. This problem is intermittent because there are times I'm able to make calls on 4G. It works great on WiFi. I have already replaced the battery. This is becoming frustrating! Could it be a hardware problem? software? I just would like to take it to a repair shop and have them replace or concentrate on the area that has malfunctioned. Any ideas?

Thanks for the replies! It seems to be working, except for the issue I mentioned previously. I have taken it to a repair shop, but they had no idea. I'll have to try my luck at another place with people who are a bit more competent. Battery is the only item I have replaced. I was given the advice of adding insurance to my phone and waiting a few months, then making a claim. I don't think I'd like to go this route. The main issue with the phone is that I'm able to receive a data and 4G signal, according to the phone, yet am unable to make or receive phone calls or texts at intermittent times. I suppose I'll have to suck it up until I can get a replacement...in two years!

Upvote 0
Pretty sure once you remove or opt out of the insurance for 14 days on a new device from tmobile you cannot re-instate coverage.

Even then you have to pay a deductible of $150 to get the phone replaced for physical abuse issues like water damage.

Considering those two points and Tmobile has no service contract you can simply pay off what you have left on hardware installments and initiate a new handset purchase , or buy a used android on a site like Buy and Sell Used Mobile Phones and Tablets > Swappa and continue like normal if the handset craps out.

The not so smart thing to do but Tmobile will gladly take your money all day long if you have good credit is simply pick up another handset and double down on hardware payments for your mistake.

If you go that route at least sell the one that went diving on swappa as a parts phone to offset your loss.

I hear the new sony xperia is waterproof... :beer:

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones