• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Water Damaged Evo?

Nathan2112

Mar 5, 2012
So two nights ago, I woke up in the middle of the night and saw a glass of water that had spilled on the table.. but the water was all over my Evo and for some reason it was in the bootloader. I then took out the battery and dried off the phone. I put the battery back in and powered it on and everything was working fine except my volume up button wasnt working. Today I took my Evo out of my pocket and it was off, so I turned it on (Hit the power button only) and it took me to the bootloader. When Im in the bootloader, it looks like the phone is frozen and nothing works (power button, volume rockers) but when I plug a usb in the phone it notices the usb so I know that it is not frozen. So is there a way I can power on my phone or navigate in the bootloader? Or is my Phone done?

After removing the battery and drying off what water you should have put the phone in a bag of uncooked rice for a couple of days to draw the remaining moisture out before putting the battery back. Might have been too late anyway, but it's generally the best bet you have.

The symptoms you describe sound like the volume key is shorted out - if you press "volume down" while booting that takes you to the bootloader, and since you use the volume key to navigate the hboot menu if that is stuck you won't be able to do anything once there. So what you're seeing is consistent with that, though I cannot guarantee that this diagnosis is correct.

You could try to dry it more thoroughly (the rice trick) and see whether it will come back to life. Or maybe get someone to try to fix the volume rocker, if that is the problem. The trouble with moisture damage is that we can't be certain that there isn't something else wrong, or that something else won't fail later.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones