• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Water Tight Integrity

john58ford

Nov 1, 2011
Washington
Hi all, first post;
I am new to android and picked up the commando, first off I am not a fan boy of any certain OS, I Migrated from WinMo based solely on hardware. I will be learning the OS as I go so look for me in other threads as I wander.

So I have been reading around the web and in this forum even that people have had issues with water tight integrity with the commando. First off, I am an active duty electronics technician in a seagoing service and have some insight about this topic in general, I am not endorsing this phone specifically from a professional standpoint
So here are the points:

1. The commando is MILSPEC: True, But

John, I wouldn't have done what you did, but , in the shower?? OK, but for me that's a tad over the top unless your just testing it out maybe, but still!
I got the phone simply because of it's super build quality and was tired of finding screen scratches, dust under screen, tired of having to baby my other devices, etc, etc.
It is super solid and gives me no worries. I feel I'm becoming addicted to fantastic build quality now and may never be able to comfortably go backwards in that regard.
My commando won't be going diving on purpose, but an accidental toilet or pool, or creek drop might not ruin my phone and I really, really like that feature. I have heard of some who have done vid recording underwater and then suffered some garbled ear piece sound issue, so just beware out there.
Thanks for your interesting post. :)

Upvote 0
My commando won't be going diving on purpose, but an accidental toilet or pool, or creek drop might not ruin my phone and I really, really like that feature.

TOILET? :eek:
I think that one would be a deal breaker for me Cbreze.
No, it may not technically ruin the phone,
but I don't think I could ever bring that devise near my mouth again
after it becoming such close buddies with my Aces and Deuces! :D

Upvote 0
I've had almost every version of the G'zOne. I've dropped two of them in the toilet. Washed them vigorously, and pretended it never happened.

As far as the plastic near the docking port, I was curious, so I ran it under the sink. Then I pulled it from under the faucet and watched the water drain down to the copper and disappear. I figured, well there goes my phone.... I dried it off, waited a couple of minutes, opened the back door, and no water inside. Put the battery back in, and it still works. Guess it just irrigated the water elsewhere, cause I swear it looked like it was draining into the phone.

Oh, and just so people know, you can get any electronic device wet as long as there's no electricity running through it. Let it dry, then it'll work.

Upvote 0
I'm with cbreze (sp?). I have the commando because it's built like a tank. Mine has taken falls from posts (4 ft), off coffee tables and off counter tops onto concrete, tile and wood floors. No worse for the wear. It hasn't gone swimming yet, but my Rock did and yes, in the next phone call 10 mins later the voice of the caller was garbled. Once the water drained out of the hole, it was good as new.

I look at the milspec aspect as insurance against inadvertent or accidental events rather than something to be deliberately tempted. (Even though my Rock's swim in the pool was deliberate to one-up my brother's iPhone.) :D

David

Upvote 0
I've had almost every version of the G'zOne. I've dropped two of them in the toilet. Washed them vigorously, and pretended it never happened.

As far as the plastic near the docking port, I was curious, so I ran it under the sink. Then I pulled it from under the faucet and watched the water drain down to the copper and disappear. I figured, well there goes my phone.... I dried it off, waited a couple of minutes, opened the back door, and no water inside. Put the battery back in, and it still works. Guess it just irrigated the water elsewhere, cause I swear it looked like it was draining into the phone.

Oh, and just so people know, you can get any electronic device wet as long as there's no electricity running through it. Let it dry, then it'll work.
I'm glad you're doing the testing jova, so we don't have to.;)
I had a GF(former) who dropped one of my prized nokia's in a puddle and of course it was trashed. I tried to revive it but I was to late(some hours later)

Upvote 0
To add to my testing, the first commando I threw at a wall full force. Phone still worked, but none of the sensors worked. Had to get a replacement. I've done this to all my G'zOne phones lol. Cracked the screen on the boulder. verizon wouldn't replace it because I didn't have insurance on it, but ut starcom fixed it for free. My brigade got water under the screen from using it underwater, but the battery compartment where the water sticker was stayed dry, so I was able to get it replaced.

I was like, I want a smartphone, but I'm not getting one til they make one I can drop in a swimming pool then they made it.

Upvote 0
To each their own, but these things fall into toilets all the time. #2 place besides pools. Just soak it in alcohol they're rugged. ;)

Well it sure better be.
If mine ever falls into a toilet I'll be pouring MEK on it
and setting it ablaze before that thing goes near my mouth again! Haha.
Just don't think I could get past the mental part of that one. :)

Upvote 0
That'll work too.
PinkCommando.png

Oh Honey.....got a new phone for ya!
36_2_26.gif

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones