Water Under ScreenGeneral

Last Updated:

1. EricS96521

EricS96521 Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I was installing a phantom skin on my phone and somehow managed to get water under the screen in the bottom right corner. I already had the battery out so I don't have to worry about any damage. I am going to let it dry for the next day or two before I attempt to install a new screen and turn it on.

I am really sad about this :(

As of right now there is water vapor creeping along the outer edges of the screen and about a half inch across the bottom.

[​IMG]

Advertisement
  2. NilsE

NilsE Well-Known Member

That is why I avoid any screen protector that requires wetting the film. I don't even try the reuse by washing one and trying again. I just throw them out.

I would make sure the phone is propped up while drying so any water runs away from the bulk of the electronics. You can speed it up with a hair dryer set on low or even cool.

Let us know how you make out

3. SynisterWolf

SynisterWolf Well-Known Member

Or put it in a bag of white rice. It will act like a desiccant and pull moisture out. I have done this and it worked. The rice doesn't need to touch it. Just put it in a bag and seal it up and wait 12 to 24 hours.

4. DarbagDarbag

DarbagDarbag Well-Known Member

yeah the rice trick worked for me too

i went jetskiing with my inc.

5. AndroidRider

AndroidRider Well-Known Member

+ 1 My friend went swimming with his Iphone and we told him to do this and it worked for the most part.

6. Terabethia

Terabethia Well-Known Member

I know several people who successfully used the rice trick, it does wonders. Just take the battery out and toss the phone in a ziplock bag full of rice and let it sit there for 24 hours. You should be fine after that.

7. EricS96521

Well, about 15 minutes after I posted this I said **** it and popped the battery back in. The phone worked completely fine and I tested everything out. So I popped in some headphones and went to sleep. I woke up to find the phone shut off so I turned it back on. I then woke up a little while ago to find that some of my programs were force closing when I opened them.

I just did a restore and everything seems to be working fine. There is still some moisture under the screen on the bottom right, but when the display is on, it isn't even noticeable.

8. Terabethia

Terabethia Well-Known Member

You really... REALLY... should not be using it while there is moisture in there. You could damage the electronic components, which you may have already done (thus explaining the problems you have seen).

I know it sucks to go without your phone for a day or two, but it sucks more to have to replace it because you were impatient. And if you don't have insurance, it's a costly replacement (even with insurance it's an $80 deductible).

9. EricS96521

10. EricS96521

I can go without a phone, it's no problem for me. I have the phone on, charging, display timeout at 30 minutes, pandora running, and internet going in an attempt to get the water to evaporate out.

Hell, if the phone messes up, I don't care to spend the deductible for a new phone.

11. EricS96521

After a complete disassemble and cleaning:

[​IMG]

Looks brand new. The only thing that's wrong now is the back of the phone wants to squeak a little (It already did a little bit before..like the battery isn't in there snug enough) and now it does it just a tad bit more, and there are little pry marks around the edge of the phone where I used a metal eyeglass screw driver instead of the plastic tool. I can live with that though :)

12. EricS96521

I applied a Phantom Skinz screen protector and ended up with water under the screen.

[​IMG]

I took the screen off and let it set for a couple hours before turning it back on and heating it up to make the moisture evaporate out of the phone.

Being as impatient as I am, I decided to do a complete disassemble and get the water out myself:

[​IMG]

It worked and now the back of the phone creaks, I have voided my warranty, and there are tiny marks around the phone where I had to pry the red part out of the back.

I just spent $100 on 2 new Seidio cases and the crystal screen protectors.

I will NEVER try to apply a wet protector again.

13. CuBz

CuBz Well-Known Member

I've never even heard of 'wet' screen protectors

14. rpfarrah

rpfarrah Member

I used a three different kinds of wet screen protectors. Managed to damage all of them (but protected my screen!). I then tried the Steinheil Crystal which are not applied wet - love them.

15. rival22

rival22 Member

I've used Pantom Skinz on my old Dare, my Incredible, my wife's BB and even on my DSLR camera screen and have never gotten water in a device.

There is some moisture that is between the protector and screen, but that will be gone in a few hours.

16. Bundy

Bundy Well-Known Member

I battled with two different wet skins and got so frustrated I almost smashed my phone. I went with Seidio screen protectors and couldn't be happier.

17. ACD168

ACD168 Well-Known Member

lol dudes why use a screen protector? I am just careful with my phone, and if I did get any scratches that were unbearable, id call and get a refurb.

18. ACD168

ACD168 Well-Known Member

I have the creaks too, even with a case, I'm considering buying the 1500mah battery JUST because of this. I just bought the white back door and it helped for about a week, now its a creek-er

19. EricS96521

I applied scotch tape to the inside of the battery door and it fixed the creaking. As far as the new creaking, that is because when I took out the red back part, I must have damaged a clip because it won't fully latch on the right side and if I push it down it clicks like its popping into place, but it just pops back out. So when I squeeze the sides on the phone, it creaks.

20. SynisterWolf

SynisterWolf Well-Known Member

I had best buy install my screen protector. They do it free If you buy It from them. And if they break it they buy it. Life time warranty.

21. AndroidRider

AndroidRider Well-Known Member

I got mine when I bought the phone from verizon and had the guy install it, was a little pricey ($12) But after I got my refurb after froyo killed my incoming call speaker, I went back to ask him to reapply it for me and he just gave me a new one instead, so two for the price of one :D Even with the guy doing it, it has a few air bubbles, but you can't tell with the phone on.