Water :(

Last Updated:

1. melmigs

melmigs Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

So this morning I put my Droid in the side pocket of my bag like I always do and on the way to class went to check my phone to see what time it was. Discovered the water bottle I had in the main compartment of the bag had come open (crappy seal on a crappy bottle) and my phone was all wet and turned off. So I immediately took the battery out, rushed to the store and got rice, and stuck my phone and battery in the rice for 4ish hours. During lunchtime I decided to check to see if the phone was working (stupid move? probably) and it turned on for a couple of seconds to show a faint Motorola symbol then turned off. I also noticed condensation under the screen. :( So I stuck it back in the rice for 7 hours and I pulled it out a little while ago to see the condensation still there, and now I'm afraid to attempt to turn it on.

I was planning on leaving it in the rice overnight but I'm pretty sure that's doing nothing for the condensation. Since I'm usually good with taking care of my phones I opted out of the accidental insurance :(

Any suggestions to get rid of the condensation/what to do? Help!

Advertisement
  2. The_Chief

The_Chief Accept no imitations! Moderator

The rice should have been given at LEAST 24 hours to suck all the moisture out. I'm afraid youmay have done more harm than good by rushing to power it up. If I woke up in your shoes, I would sweat it out for another 24 hours in the rice bag and pray it powers up.

I washed my daughter's LG Chocolate 3 once and the rice thing saved it (albeit a little loss in battery capacity). I hope the best for you and your Droid.

3. melmigs

melmigs Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I was afraid of that... I wasn't even thinking when I turned it on, guess I assumed it would be all better since it wasn't in a lot of water and only for a few minutes but I assumed wrong!

4. inssane

inssane Well-Known Member

Rice :)

5. CegAbq

CegAbq Well-Known Member

Ooooohhhhh I feel your pain; good luck with the rice.

6. megaera

megaera Well-Known Member

I recommend taking to a cell phone repair place. They'll take it apart, let it sit under a heat lamp and re-solder anything that corroded. Cost about $100. I had the exact same thing happen to my phone, and it was completely fine after that. There'll probably be a watermark under the screen that slowly fades until it's just a few barely noticeable dots.

7. nuttsp

nuttsp Member

I had the a similar thing happen to me. But when I turned on the phone it would go to the home screen. Then on it's own it would start launching applications. It was like it thought someone whats tapping the screen. I powered off removed the battery and took a hiar dryer to it. On low heat hi speed. After about 10 min it was fine. Sounds like your situation is much worse than mine.

8. bobarcher

bobarcher Active Member

9. gwlaw99

gwlaw99 Well-Known Member

Someone on another thread suggested removing the battery and then dipping it in 91%+ rubbing alchool. It pushed ou the water then evaporates after two days.

10. Legacystar

Legacystar Well-Known Member

read that same whing but you need to take it fully apart and let all the components be exposes. i have taken 2 droids apart, it's not to hard once you know what to do. i'd suggest taking it apart and putting all the components in rice

11. gmermel

gmermel Well-Known Member

Did the same thing. It died. Took it to repair shop that does an "acid bath" (we're thinking it's acetone of alcohol rather than acid). After 24 hours nothing on the screen. mine never showed any life on the screen so maybe with the rice trick you;'ll be OK....

New phone today, at least I'm eligible for an early upgrade on my line to take some sting out....

12. Dmordarski

Dmordarski Well-Known Member

13. soulfetcher13

soulfetcher13 Well-Known Member

You can also try taking the battery out, placing battery, phone and put SD card on battery cover and place all components on top of the fridge. The slow constant ambient heat from the top of the fridge should help. It worked for me.