WAV file playback?Support

Last Updated:

1. amarryat

amarryat Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

How can we play a WAV file? I tried and it said that the format is not supported.

In addition to being a Verizonwireless customer, I am also a Verizon FIOS subscriber with FIOS Digital Voice. When a VM is left at home, an email is sent with a WAV file attachment containing the VM, but now that I upgraded to the Incredible from a Blackberry, I can no longer play these attachments.

Advertisement
  2. msingewald

msingewald Member

I noticed that too and was very surprised. Maybe there is an association issue we don't know about.

3. dm33

dm33 Well-Known Member

Is there a player available in the app store to let you play wav files?

This is a serious problem. I can't beleive the Incredible can't play a wav file.

4. Berner

Berner Well-Known Member

The phone does play wav files. The Music application doesn't seem to see them natively, but if you select the file with a file manager (e.g., Astro) then the Music player plays them fine. I have tested this many, many times.

5. jamesdean

jamesdean Well-Known Member

I had this problem on the Motorola Droid. Our VM system sends email with .wav attachments. I solved the problem by sending those emails to my gmail address and the attachment plays fine. However, if I send those emails to an email address on our domain it does not. Go figure.

Try your gmail account and report back please.

6. eyc

eyc Well-Known Member

REMOTE WAVE -- look for it in the marketplace.

You are trying to play a GSM 6.10 .wav file, which will not open without this third-party app. The player background is hideous and no controls are offered, but it is the only solution I'm currently aware of.

famous56 likes this.
  7. dm33

dm33 Well-Known Member

Doesn't play my wav files. When I select the file in Astro, I get to the same music player that I get when I try from inside the Mail application. In either case, it says it doesn't know how to play the file.

8. amarryat

That's where they go for me too - to my gmail address. I try to play them directly when reading my email.

9. dm33

dm33 Well-Known Member

Doesn't matter where I receive the email. Gmail app, Mail app or selected using Astro. It always launches the music player app in Android and I get an error message, "Unable to play this type of audio file".

10. eyc

eyc Well-Known Member

dm33, you asked for a player in the app store. I explained that Remote Wave is the only known app to play these unique .wav files. Why are you and amarryat still asking about this issue?

FYI, the phone plays .wav files. But these VM's are not standard .wav files. You need Remote Wave. If it doesn't work, get a refund.

11. amarryat

2 different posters in this thread have played WAV files natively, including one who can play VM wav files when sent to his gmail address, but not when sent to his other address.

12. dm33

dm33 Well-Known Member

Ok. Thanks. I looked at Remove Wave. Sounds like it will fix it. But it seems hard to believe you need to spend $3 on an app to fix something that should be built into the phone or available somehow for free. I'm tempted to write my own app. But I feel that way too often for things that do 90% of what I want on the Incredible.

13. eyc

eyc Well-Known Member

I was also surprised that the Incredible didn't support that function natively. If it means anything to you, if you build the app, and it has controls and some modicum of customization, I will buy it from you.

14. gmanvbva

gmanvbva Active Member

15. jmklei0

jmklei0 Active Member

When I purchased the Increbile in April, I was able to play back .wav files. Now that it was updated to the Froyo 2.2, it doesn't play anymore. Anybody know why?

16. spence341

spence341 Well-Known Member

+1, it used to play wav files fine before the FROYO update. You shouldn't need to download an app for it.

17. sillyrabbitt123

sillyrabbitt123 Well-Known Member

but we need to! which is ridiculous!

18. Mobdad

Mobdad New Member

Remote Wav Free works great! Thanks.

rfreschner likes this.
  19. larrycl

larrycl Well-Known Member

Ok, I was going to try out Remove Wave Free but found it wants permission to access my (GPS) location?!?!?! Why does a wav file player need this permission?