WaveSecure has me locked out!

Last Updated:

1. reburns

reburns Active Member This Topic's Starter

I installed a trial or free version of WaveSecure to my Droid for the purpose of backing up SMS messages. I used it once or twice.

Now it's locking me out of my phone. It's asking for a PIN, and I don't know it. If you go to the WaveSecure website, there is a page for resetting the PIN, but I can't seem to enter an email or phone # with international code that it accepts.

Help! :eek:

https://www.wavesecure.com/forgot-password.aspx

Advertisement
  2. reburns

reburns Active Member This Topic's Starter

Wait....... on about the 5th try.... booting the phone and trying to be super-fast, I was able to uninstall WaveSecure before it took control!

Bah!

3. (G)

(G) Well-Known Member

Good for you. But geez, it's not good to know that it can be defeated that easily.

4. grainysand

grainysand Well-Known Member

Yeah, it's not very secure unless you install it as a system app--and that's only doable if you're running a custom ROM that incorporates it in that manner.

I got pissed off when it randomly locked up my phone the third time when I switched network settings. Come on, what the hell?

5. messenger13

messenger13 Well-Known Member

Any app can be defeated using ADB or DROID Explorer from a recovery console. Assuming the thief is that savvy.

6. barry99705

barry99705 Well-Known Member

That pretty much sums it up for damn near anything really. Wavesecure comes in handy for the first half hour after you lose your phone. Hit that secure delete button as soon as you realize your phone is missing.

7. cheewee

cheewee Well-Known Member

Hi reburns,
    It is strange that you have time to uninstall WaveSecure before it locks. That shouldn't happen. That said, we are preparing a version of WaveSecure with uninstall protection. This will be out on Android Market sometime next week.

Thanks,
    cheewee
    Team WaveSecure

8. brnr17

brnr17 Well-Known Member

but nothing said about fixing the fact that it locks him out which made him have to beat it to uninstall it in the firstplace...... hmmmmmm

9. ttaylor0024

ttaylor0024 Well-Known Member

lol

10. grainysand

grainysand Well-Known Member

Ding ding ding.

11. cheewee

cheewee Well-Known Member

Hi brnr17,
    That is because WaveSecure doesn't lock out users randomly. Sometime it could be due to the fact that the user doesn't understand how the product work. For example, some users unknowingly activated the airplane mode lock with alarm, only to get a shock after that.

Thanks,
    cheewee
    Team WaveSecure

12. johnbmwoo

johnbmwoo New Member

I know this is an old post, but I was able to uninstall Wavesecure as well. I think mine was by luck, but glad I was able to do so since I am going to sell my motorola droid. Not that I didnt like the program, my brother did it to back up my system and he is out of the country for a week so I have no other way to wipe the handset. So glad I luckily figured out how to uninstall it. I fell in love with the HTC Incredible. Cant wait for Froyo.

13. Joewoowoo

Joewoowoo Well-Known Member

good try wave secureteam trying to blame it on the user , no deal , no dice , your app did this to me 5 months ago and has been gone ever since , I got it uninstalled with NO help from your staff !:mad:

14. LZeitgeist

LZeitgeist Well-Known Member

K
    Ah, I see, blame the stupid end user when you could have made it simpler to use and easier to understand.

Thank you for guaranteeing that I will be avoiding your apps like the plague.

15. Nash888

Nash888 Member

WaveSecure is no longer hard-reset proof. Hackers found a leak in the security system that was based on that feature. They had to close it of course - so feature does not work anymore. I am user of Theft Aware 2.0 Beta (closed beta) which will come up soon - its great and offers this functionality without security leak.

16. smacky

smacky Banned

Use SMS Backup for saving texts. It sends them to your GMail inbox and you can sort them by contact and have it sync automatically after X amount of days.