• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Way to keep podcasts/audiobooks from playing in the music app?

lady3jane

Dec 11, 2009
hi all -

i don't think i'm using the right search terms or else no one else cares about this and it's just me :)

i use doggcatcher for my podcasts. when i want to listen to music, i use the music app. but i have play all random, it pulls from the entire SD card, not just the music folder where i have the music. basically, it's just annoying to have the random music playing and then all of sudden a chapter from an audio book or a podcast starts playing, esp when i'm driving. i don't like having to mess with it then.

i have also used it to sync with mediamonkey, but if i have more than one playlist that syncs (i have "favorites" and "recently added"), then i can only pick one playlist at a time to listen to.

i can't figure out a way to make a smart playlist or anything like that on the eris. i even downloaded that cube 3 or whatever that was on Lifehacker recently - but that doesn't have anything either.

ideas?

thanks!

Hide non-music audio files, videos, images from appearing in App

On your computer, open Notepad or any other text editor
OR download an App called 'Text edit' then you can do this from your phone
Save the blank file as “.nomedia”
Make sure that the Save as type is set as “All Files” instead of “Text documents”
Copy that file to the folder on your SD card containing audio files you don’t want to show up.
(Example: If you want to block CoPilot sound files from coming up, place the .nomedia file in the sdcard/copilot folder)
Reboot your phone and the files should no longer be viewable
This same trick works for folders containing images or videos that you don’t want to appear in the Gallery app.

NB Make sure you only put this .nomedia file in the appropiate folder that you want and suggest you backup your SDcard to your comp just in case you come across any probs.

Reactions: Bill
Upvote 0
Hide non-music audio files, videos, images from appearing in App

On your computer, open Notepad or any other text editor

OR download an App called 'Text edit' then you can do this from your phone

Save the blank file as “.nomedia”

Make sure that the Save as type is set as “All Files” instead of “Text documents”

Copy that file to the folder on your SD card containing audio files you don’t want to show up.

(Example: If you want to block CoPilot sound files from coming up, place the .nomedia file in the sdcard/copilot folder)

Reboot your phone and the files should no longer be viewable

This same trick works for folders containing images or videos that you don’t want to appear in the Gallery app.

NB Make sure you only put this .nomedia file in the appropiate folder that you want and suggest you backup your SDcard to your comp just in case you come across any probs.

Well, you COULD do all that, or you could just use Acast. The UI isn't exactly stellar, but it comes with an option you can toggle that will hide your podcasts from being found by a music player (which I use and it works flawlessly).

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

Upvote 0
Using .nomedia seems like a great workaround, but it's not really an answer. With all the folders different apps create, this can be a very time-consuming task trying to hunt down and add this file whenever you install a new app or the app does something different.

An ideal solution would be to be able to specify in Android or in your media player which folder is for music (for instance, the Music folder which Android creates by default), which is for podcasts (a Podcasts folder which Android can recognize like the Pictures folder because it's capitalized), etc. For instance, Winamp lets you designate a folder for music on Windows (but not in Android unfortunately). It seems like this is half-implemented in Android, and they just haven't finished fleshing out what seems like a great way to separate your media.

Upvote 0
It works with subfolders too ...

/sdcard/app-data/.nomedia

... also blocks ...

/sdcard/app-data/games/
/sdcard/app-data/com.ea.data/games/madden12
/sdcard/app-data/1/2/3/4/5/6/7/8/data

.. etc

How many TOP LEVEL folders do you have in root that MIGHT have music/audio in there? 10? Less?

Doesn't seem like THAT poorly implemented of a solution.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones