1. Introducing Channels - a new way to chat with other Android users!
    Dismiss Notice

Way to test APK files?

Last Updated:

1. keegan1977

keegan1977 New Member This Topic's Starter

New to Android so I need a little help.

Is there a way to test an APK file on the computer before installing on my new EVO?

Or maybe check it for a virus or such?

I just don't want to screw up my new phone.

Thanks

Advertisement
  2. justinandroid

justinandroid Member

you could download the android SDK and load the .apk using one of the virtual devices. At least I think that would work?

3. nightfishing

nightfishing Well-Known Member

There are no viruses. There are other malicious programs floating around (data harvesters, key loggers etc).

best advice to avoid malicious software is to only download form the market (or other trusted sites) and only download apps with good customer feedback.

also, pay attention to the permissions apps ask for when you install them and make sure you feel comfortable with the access you are providing.

if you are dl'ing apk's from torrent sites, good luck (you may be exposing yourself to trouble)

Good sticky here:

http://androidforums.com/android-ap...ps-avoid-viruses-guide-those-new-android.html

4. zonaRSX

zonaRSX New Member

i'd like to check a program as well.. is there a mac program or windows program that can run an apk file

5. AJam

AJam Member

You are looking for a program called YouWave: YouWave, Android on Windows PC.

I know this thread has been dead a while, but if anyone searches on Google and ends up at this forum (as I did) at least now they have something.

This probably won't protect you against malicious programs, but it does give you the opportunity to test out .apk files right on your computer.

Hope this helps!

AJam

Ravin Dave likes this.