Way to turn phone &/or light on when receiving a message?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by geoffsweb, Nov 17, 2009.

1. geoffsweb

geoffsweb Active Member

Nov 16, 2009
    My old phone would turn on, or come out of sleep mode when I received a text message, or any type of alert. Is there a way to make the Droid do that? I leave the phone sitting on my desk and I miss messages all the time because the phone doesn't kick on and I have the volume turned all the way down or off. But if the phone would light up, I would notice that.

Thanks.

Advertisement

2. MattOhn

MattOhn Member

Aug 21, 2009
    Pawn shop Employee
    Central Florida
    I don't know much about the Droid, put it on vibration, deppending on the surface you'll deffinantly hear it

3. geoffsweb

geoffsweb Active Member

Nov 16, 2009
    True, but so will the people in the cubes beside me. Purely looking for the backlight to come on when receiving a text and/or alert.

4. dmgabe

dmgabe Well-Known Member

Nov 9, 2009
    Student
    Carbondale, IL
    Download the app handcent sms. It will replace the stock messaging app and will do what you want and more.

5. benna12

benna12 Active Member

Nov 8, 2009
    Will I be able to turn on and off the vibration notifications in the Handcent App by using a program like Ring Toggle?

6. dmgabe

dmgabe Well-Known Member

Nov 9, 2009
    Student
    Carbondale, IL
    Not sure about that. You can however make the adjustments in handcent itself. You will have to try the ring toggle, I have never used it so can't really tell you. Handcent is free so no risk to trying it out.

7. benna12

benna12 Active Member

Nov 8, 2009
    I am going to give it a try, I really like being able to turn off and on all my notifications and ringer with the Ring Toggle App, I would hate for Ring Toggle to only start working for the Notifications or the ringer and leave one on sound while one is vibrate still.

I have a feeling it will toggle all ringers and notifies at the same time though...at least I hope....

Does Handcent bring the Droid out of sleep mode when a message is received?

Edit: Actually, I mean will Handcent unlock the Droid when a message is received (I did not mean out of sleep, as it would have to wake up to display the message)

8. dmgabe

dmgabe Well-Known Member

Nov 9, 2009
    Student
    Carbondale, IL
    Yes, it will give you a popup of the message and let you quick reply without entering the actual messaging app. I am not positive if it works when an unlock pattern is set, but works just fine without one. Really is one of the best apps I have found on the market, and if you have questions, the developer is really quick to respond (usually online late at night).

Update: And if you download it and experience lag, I have a beta version that fixes this, but takes away some of the nifty graphics the regular version uses.