• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Way too many contacts on my phone

thinkpad20

Lurker
Jul 17, 2012
I have my phone set up to sync with my gmail account. Looking at my current contact list at google.com/contacts, I only see 99 contacts, and I account for each one. But looking at my phone which is synced to the same google user name, I see a whole ton of contacts, many if not most of them old email addresses of friends or acquaintances I haven't contacted in years. It's like gmail searched through my email and made a "contact" out of everyone I've ever exchanged email with. Needless to say, having a whole ton of extraneous contacts is not a good thing. How do I get my phone to show me ONLY the contacts that I have organized in my gmail contacts list?

Make sure that you have only contacts to sync under your gmail acct. on your cellphone. You can check this under Contact> menu> Accts. > Other Accts.> data synchronization. Also, check the settings under Contacts> menu> settings> contact storage> and have only to store new contacts to Google Gmail. If you have any of your social media or email accts. to sync. contacts, that might increase your contact volume as well. (You might want to check those settings too.)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones