WCCFtech.com Leak?

Last Updated:

1. slashx1896

slashx1896 Member This Topic's Starter

I know this is like 4 days old now. but it was posted on the xda forums for the eris a few hours ago. and then said that it was actualyl a leak for the moto droid
    WCCFtech.com | Android 2.1 OTA Leaked

I did not see it posted here or on other android forums which makes me think if its legit.

Advertisement
  2. messenger13

messenger13 Well-Known Member

I'm testing it now. The only thing that has me concerned is that it's only a 55MB file. It should be bigger than that. Hhmmn...

Thanks for the heads-up though. Bout time someone has a good post around here. ;)

3. alostpacket

alostpacket Over Macho Grande? VIP Member

old news, it's for the Droid and Pete has incorporated it into a new ROM over on alldroid.

Thanks for the link though

4. slashx1896

Yeah, well keep me updated. I'm not home currently so did not try my self.
    alostpacket: well if this is able to do without rooting it seems good for all the people who do not want to root it. but i havent even rooted my phone yet so i have no idea how it works.

5. droidpcguru

droidpcguru Well-Known Member

The comments say it is for Sholes(Droid). I'm willing to bet that if anything, it's the same leak that Pete is building his 2.1 ROMS with, especially since it is a system dump, and not a full update.zip.

6. slashx1896

Well if thats true. Wouldn't you have to root your phone for petes rom, and not root your phone for the leak?

7. droidpcguru

There is no way to force this leak into a non-rooted phone, as changing system files requires SU access. The only way to upgrade a stock phone is to use a signed update.zip with the stock recovery. This leak is just a dump od the /system/ folder.

8. messenger13

Kinda bummed... This is ONLY a system.rar file and not a complete O/S update. I was hoping when I opened the rar file to take a look, there'd be more meat inside. I don't care so much about the GUI and apps of 2.1. I want the kernel as well.

9. slashx1896

so either way u gotta b rooted. makes sense . so im better od rooting n going to petes rom or waiting for a legit ota i might think about rooting

10. droidpcguru

Exactly what I am waiting for before even bothering with full 2.1...an "official" 2.1 Droid kernel to work with. Although this just brought up a thought.. all of the 2.1 Bugless roms and the like.. are they still running a 2.0.1 kernel with just the 2.1 system files? That could explain a LOT..

11. messenger13

Psha! Even worse! All of the o/c'ed kernels are 2.0. :eek: That's why I am so excited to see what this DROID is going to run like when it has an actual 2.1 kernel in it. I'm fortunate that my DROID likes to run at 1.3 GHz, but I don't think it should have to.

Did you read my thread on the Dalvik Turbo. Now that's the kind of updates that I want.

Quite frankly, I'm sick & tired of all these new ROM releases, one every few days. It's all the same crap with a different version number attached to it.

12. droidpcguru

Ahh. That does explain a lot..figures. I agree.. there is not a whole lot of room for improvement out there for the "cooked" ROMS. I am going to most likely stick with my current setup unless there is something really impressive worked into them(which I don't really see happening). I have a thread on my setup in the root section if you are interested in checking it out. I have just about everything I can get.. for now. I see no reason to try 3 ROMS a day and go through all that hassle to be disappointed in the end.

I did read about Dalvik Turbo when you first posted it:cool: Hopefully 2.1, Flash support, and the new Dalvik Turbo won't take too long..but we all know how that goes..

13. vido.ardes

vido.ardes Well-Known Member

Now we know it's a leak of system files and not an actual update, I've shifted it to the root forum.

Interesting discussion though guys, I'd like to see some benchies to show the difference between the kernels when they come out, see what Google has been up to all this time

14. inssane

inssane Well-Known Member

Pete had the dump of the OTA.
    Yes, Pete had incorporated 2.1 into his ROM, but not everyone wants a custom ROM. If they did, there would not be 10+ page threads on the official 2.1 release.

15. slashx1896

I agree not everyone wants custom roms. They are there for us to grab. But i am happy with my current set up which is not even rooted all stock because i have yet to find a reason to root it. Yeah i can get a somewhat 2.1 system early (the leak/petes rom) but I might just wait for a legit 2.1 update before i go out and do anything else. I have not had my phone for that long so i dont have much to say liek everyone else here :) just going from my knowledge and experience with rooting/flashing previous phones.