1. In regards to recently combined carrier specific root forums, if your device forum was affected, please see this poll/thread!

WCDMA Only HelpSupport

1. sebastian117

sebastian117 Member

I would like to leave my phone on wcdma only as it is much faster this way, but I have a couple questions:

1. I've heard calls can go straight to voice mail from no signal. Will I receive a missed call notification if it goes straight to voice mail?

2. Will this affect battery life?

Advertisement
  2. Talderon

Talderon Well-Known Member

1. No signal, no notification.

2. No idea, but if you do it, let us know!
  3. sebastian117

sebastian117 Member

That's what I was worried about. I'd be fine if it notified me of the missed call once I was back in service range. I want to switch because I usually have good HSPA+ coverage, but occasionally I'm out of range, and I don't want to miss anything.

I want to switch because of, obviously the better speeds, and to answer your question, it actually improved my battery life. My only explanation for this is that it no longer has to switch between EDGE and HSPA+
  4. Talderon

ok, coming back into service range, you should get VM notifications, but missed calls from people that didn't leave a VM, THAT I can't tell you.
    sebastian117 likes this.
  5. sebastian117

sebastian117 Member

Ok, thanks. What about text messages?
  6. nodrogkam

nodrogkam Well-Known Member

Running WCDMA only will help with speeds just a tad if you're already in a 4g area.
    I've used my phone in that mode for a while. I fall in and out of coverage, and when you dont get that wcdma service you have no service. so you wont get missed call notifications, texts, etc...because you have NO SERVICE. Once you're back into a service area, any messages will be pushed to your phone.
    Because I move around a lot during the day for work and school, i've decided to leave it on Auto (WCDMA/GSM). The speeds are fine as is.
    sebastian117 likes this.
  7. sebastian117

sebastian117 Member

Ok, so I just want to clarify this: voice mail and text messages WILL be received once I'm back in service range?
  8. Talderon

Yes, and any data sync's you have on will also come in as well (facebook, twitter and emails as well).

The only thing I can think of that will not come through is Missed Calls. You'll be able to see who called if they leave a message.
    sebastian117 likes this.
  9. nodrogkam

nodrogkam Well-Known Member

yes.
  10. sebastian117

sebastian117 Member

Ok, thanks everyone!