• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

We can now synchronize Outlook & Android without a 3rd party app or Exchange Server!

I don't own outlook app so
Can you by just using phone edit/create a contact, link it to a calender event
with an alarm?
No. You can enter birthdays through the Hotmail web interface, and those will show up on your calendars. But you can't enter birthdays on the phone and you can't (on the phone) link contacts & calendar events.

Upvote 0
Thanks, RazzMaTazz, finding this thread was a lifesaver for me. I'd already tried a 3d party app which completely messed up my desktop and had to be taken out again.

All is working well and as advertised...EXCEPT one thing. I can sync from Outlook7 PC to cloud Hotmail/Outlook to phone. But when I make new entries on the phone they sync just fine to cloud Hotmail/Outlook...but not down from the cloud to the desktop. I've tried signing in and out of Hotmail/Outlook and closing and reopening PC Outlook, doing multiple send/receives from both phone and PC.

Is there any other way to get the new entries made on the phone to finish syncing all the way down to the PC? I tried several tests when I first set it up and it seemed to work ok both ways for a while, but recently, no.

Upvote 0
All is working well and as advertised...EXCEPT one thing. I can sync from Outlook7 PC to cloud Hotmail/Outlook to phone. But when I make new entries on the phone they sync just fine to cloud Hotmail/Outlook...but not down from the cloud to the desktop. I've tried signing in and out of Hotmail/Outlook and closing and reopening PC Outlook, doing multiple send/receives from both phone and PC.

Is there any other way to get the new entries made on the phone to finish syncing all the way down to the PC? I tried several tests when I first set it up and it seemed to work ok both ways for a while, but recently, no.
That's very puzzling since the data syncs from the PC to the phone and from the phone to the cloud (Hotmail servers). It must be some weird interaction between your PC and Hotmail. I don't know what. Mine syncs both ways.

Upvote 0
I have tried everything you said, I have the configuration done right, my contacts sync down to the Nexus 7. My issue is that after that initial sync, it won't sync again. If I make changes in Outlook/Hotmail they won't sync down to the tablet & same the other way around. The only way to resync is to delete the account on the tablet & redo it. What gives?

Upvote 0
Thanks. I have been waiting for something like this since Google took this away from us. I followed your instructions - hotmail synchs fine but calendar and contacts will not synch. Both the calendar and contacts folders are listed under my hotmail account in Outlook 2010, copy and migrate were successful, hotmail account added to my Android, gmail synch turned off for calendar and contacts, and hotmail synch turned on for calendar and contacts. Can you think of something I might be missing?

Thanks!

Upvote 0
MyPhoneExplorer - syncs locally from PC to Android from Outlook. No need to get Hotmail involved. Free.

Dave
I was using MPE when I had Win7/32bit laptop running Outlook 2007 & it worked well. I've now moved to a Win 7/64bit Desktop running Outlook 2013 & MPE & I couldm't get the Beta version which is recommended for Outlook 2013 to install.
I also got anxious because MPE appears to be free & easy with users' data.

Upvote 0
Hi,

I've read though a lot of these posts (but not all, I admit...) looking for an answer to my problem, and I'm not sure if the Hotmail solution is the one I should follow, or if there's something simpler. When my Outlook 2007 on my PC is shutdown, I can send and receive e-mails (personal, not corporate) just fine on my Galaxy Ace. When I fire up Outlook on the PC, the inbox on the Ace empties, which is OK because the e-mails are on now the PC, but all the e-mails in the sent box on the Ace stay there - how can I get them into the Outlook sent box on the PC? This used to work fine with my Nokia N73, so do I need an add-on on the Ace to get this functionality? This is my main priority, if I get calendar and contact sync also, that's a bonus for me.
TIA
Graham

Upvote 0
... When I fire up Outlook on the PC, the inbox on the Ace empties, which is OK because the e-mails are on now the PC, but all the e-mails in the sent box on the Ace stay there - how can I get them into the Outlook sent box on the PC? ....

Sounds like you have the same setup as me, a pop3 account. Nowt wrong with that as it suits me. Sounds like you need to have the phone's email app automatically 'bcc' yourself. That way you'll get a copy of the email and you can move it to the sent box on your pc (that's what I do anyway).

HTH

Dave

Upvote 0
All is working well and as advertised...EXCEPT one thing. I can sync from Outlook7 PC to cloud Hotmail/Outlook to phone. But when I make new entries on the phone they sync just fine to cloud Hotmail/Outlook...but not down from the cloud to the desktop.
I don't know why you're having trouble. Mine syncs bidirectionally, within minutes. One quirk that I've noticed is that sometime when the contacts get synced, for some reason they get sorted by last-name instead of first-name or vice-versa. You might want to check if they're in there under the other name.

Upvote 0
Thanks. I have been waiting for something like this since Google took this away from us. I followed your instructions - hotmail synchs fine but calendar and contacts will not synch. Both the calendar and contacts folders are listed under my hotmail account in Outlook 2010, copy and migrate were successful, hotmail account added to my Android, gmail synch turned off for calendar and contacts, and hotmail synch turned on for calendar and contacts. Can you think of something I might be missing?
The only thing that I can think of is that you may not be using the default Hotmail calendar & contacts folder. Is it syncing from the phone up to the server or from the PC to the server?

Upvote 0
When my Outlook 2007 on my PC is shutdown, I can send and receive e-mails (personal, not corporate) just fine on my Galaxy Ace. When I fire up Outlook on the PC, the inbox on the Ace empties, which is OK because the e-mails are on now the PC, but all the e-mails in the sent box on the Ace stay there - how can I get them into the Outlook sent box on the PC?
It sounds like you have a POP email account and that your Outlook settings are set to remove mail from the POP server upon downloading. Are you talking about a POP email account? Unlike POP email, Hotmail (MAPI) and Gmail (IMAP) email accounts should sync all mail folders between Outlook & Android. I don't use POP mail-- because it doesn't synchronize among multiple devices.

Upvote 0
Hello guys,
I have a Samsung S3. I connected my hotmail via the exchange set up on the phone with no issues. My calender and contacts and email connected with no problems. I'm used to an iphone where I was able to check all an any of my 14,000 emails (I know that's a lot), however, when I connected my Hotmail to the Samsung it of course took ages to sync, but once all emails were synced the email was unusable and so slow. When I changed the sync to just the last 30 days then all was fine and usable. I know I have a lot of emails, but is this normal i.e. the slowness and lag with emails more than 30 days old?

Many thanks

Upvote 0
Hello

I was really pleased to find this post and felt sure it would meet my needs in a really tidy way, until ... I discovered that, in the Contacts folder for the Hotmail account in Outlook, the "Email Display As" field in every Contact record containing an email address gets overwritten by the sync-with-Hotmail process (also true for E-mail2 Display As and E-mail3 Display As) and there doesn't seem to be any way of preventing it. Am I wrong?

Specifically, the Outlook Hotmail Connector (I guess) updates this field with something like "Full Name (email address)". I prefer to use "Full Name" only and certainly don't want the email address in the Display As field. As far as I'm concerned, this is a showstopper. Do you know of a way to stop this?

Upvote 0
... I discovered that, in the Contacts folder for the Hotmail account in Outlook, the "Email Display As" field in every Contact record containing an email address gets overwritten by the sync-with-Hotmail process (also true for E-mail2 Display As and E-mail3 Display As) and there doesn't seem to be any way of preventing it. Am I wrong?
I've been using this setup for 2 years and I am not seeing that problem on my Gingerbread-based LG Optimus S. I've followed this thread since I started it 2 years ago and I don't recall anyone reporting that problem. I'm not sure how to help.

Is web-based Hotmail also getting improperly overwritten? (I'm wondering if it's a phone-to-Hotmail problem or a Hotmail-to-Outlook problem.)

Upvote 0
Will the Hotmail soluion allow Android to PC SYNC? I have a new pc. I was not able to transfer outlook info from old pc. However-I have my contacts on Galaxy S3.
If the contacts on your phone are "Corporate Contacts" associated with a "Hotmail account" they'll sync with the Hotmail web servers, but if the contacts on your phone are some other kind of contact (like "Google Contacts" or "Phone-only Contacts" or "Facebook Contacts") then I don't think that they'll sync automatically with the Hotmail servers (and therefore they won't sync with a PC running Outlook or Windows Live Mail).

There are several workarounds, but it may depend on the kind of contacts that you have on your phone. To determine what kind of contacts you have, select a contact and hit "Edit". At the top it should say something like "Corporate Contact" or "Google Contact".

It seems like the best solution would be to export your contacts from your old PC to PST or CSV file and then import them into your new PC. But if that's not possible because your old PC is inaccessible, then you may be able to export your contacts from your phone (or perhaps from a Gmail server) to a CSV file that you could import into your PC (Outlook or Windows Live Mail). Or maybe you could use something like MyPhoneExplorer to move the contacts from your phone to your PC. It depends on how you have your contacts stored on your phone. I haven't tried it myself but on my Gingerbread-based phone, if I click on Contacts and then hit the Settings button, there's an option to Import/Export and then Export to SD Card as VCF files. If that doesn't work, there are some apps that can export and move contacts. I haven't tried them yet, but you can find some of them on THIS old thread.

If you had your contacts on a company-owned PC that was running on a corporate Exchange Server, and your contacts are "Corporate Contacts" associated with that Exchange account, and you're no longer with the company, then you may have to use something like My Phone Explorer to get the contacts off of the phone. I'm not sure.

Upvote 0
OK. I've 'bitten the bullet' and installed the Outlook connector etc because I want my archived emails on my phone (I keep loads for reference on all sorts of things). My Outlook account now has these when i log into the account via the interweb BUT .... how do you get them all downloaded onto your phone without viewing each folder?

I'm using AOKP on an HTC Desire HD and the stock email that comes with that. I'd like to use Maildroid but that doesn't support Activesync. Is there any way to download ALL emails immediately (well, it'll take a while obviously ...)?

Ta

Dave

Upvote 0
OK. I've 'bitten the bullet' and installed the Outlook connector etc because I want my archived emails on my phone (I keep loads for reference on all sorts of things). My Outlook account now has these when i log into the account via the interweb BUT .... how do you get them all downloaded onto your phone without viewing each folder?
I'm not sure that I understand what you're asking or why but I don't use Hotmail much for email so I'm not sure that I can help. I use Hotmail so that I can sync contacts and calendar with Outlook. In looking at my Hotmail folders on my Gingerbread Android device it seems that only my Inbox and Deleted folders populate-- even if I go into the others (such as saved mail) and do a refresh. I'm actually quite surprised by this behavior since I seem to recall that I used to be able to access the mail in all Hotmail folders (like I can do with Gmail).

Upvote 0
I'm not sure that I understand what you're asking or why but I don't use Hotmail much for email so I'm not sure that I can help. I use Hotmail so that I can sync contacts and calendar with Outlook. In looking at my Hotmail folders on my Gingerbread Android device it seems that only my Inbox and Deleted folders populate-- even if I go into the others (such as saved mail) and do a refresh. I'm actually quite surprised by this behavior since I seem to recall that I used to be able to access the mail in all Hotmail folders (like I can do with Gmail).

Glad it's not just me then .... :D I also don't use Hotmail for email. I did many moons ago but moved on. Kept my hotmail address though and now it's migrated to Outlook. Thought I'd get around to using it to sync all my (PC) Outlook emails on my phone as I haven't found any other easy way but contacts and calendar are sorted via MPE. Don't want to constantly sync mind, just every few weeks. But the initial task is just to get all my existing email on to the phone.

I'm suspecting that the new "Outlook.com" setup is to blame as I did try the Outlook.com app and that didn't download all the emails either. It was much worse from a UI viewpoint as well.

Anyone else any ideas?

Ta

Dave

Upvote 0
Hi there. My boss has been successfully using the Outlook/Hotmail connector for over a year now. However, a new issue has started and I can't figure out why. Through Outlook on his desk-top, he will create a new email, and send it. The issue is, the email will be sent from his Hotmail address rather than his Outlook address. Why is it sending from his Hotmail address? This has started happening frequently in the last month or so. Anyone?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones