We can root again?! Really?!

Last Updated:

1. CooL_SpoT

CooL_SpoT Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Root Your HTC Magic: Root HTC Magic

Re...really?! It's posted yesterday... I've checked all the Canadian numbers he mentions at the start of the post and they all seem to match my Magic+... Can... Can this really be true?

Is someone willing to give this a shot to see if it works (I would, but I don't have a Kingston MicroSD to make a gold card yet). I'm a little in awe right now!

*is hopefull*

Advertisement
  2. vikingisson

vikingisson Well-Known Member

Hypothetically speaking....
    yes. It works on the big R Magics.
    The stock 2G SD card should work fine as a gold card. You don't need to format it or loose anything if it is already FAT32.

One caveat for rogers magics, after rooting it you need to flash the slightly newer radio as described by cursordroid and others. Otherwise you'll loose data again. Once you've done that then you'll have a rooted Magic. With the new radio the selection is a bit limited until the official 2.1 comes out but there are several ROMS at 1.5, 1.6 and 2.1 that work nicely.

hypothetically speaking of course....
    :cool:

3. mjschmidt

mjschmidt Well-Known Member

GreatBigDog (Don) is working on testing it, so we should have some confirmation soonish...

4. GreatBigDog

GreatBigDog Well-Known Member

It works!!! Magic Post 911 now rooted running CyanogenMod. For those of you who can do your own rooting here is my guide on how to get back to pre 911 state on your Magic.

Reverting HTC Magic to pre Rogers 911 Update The GreatBigDog Report

Good luck and happy rooting. If you're not sure about the rooting process, I'll try to have a guide for you by tomorrow.

gbd

[​IMG]

5. vikingisson

One of the ironies of this method is that it works very much like the Rogers RUU update except that it won't brick the phone if you were already rooted or running a non Rogers ROM. Why do it if already rooted? Because a side benefit is that it also debrands the phone. I use a non contract phone so no guilt for debranding..

One thing to note about this update is that you should either sign the waiver or after doing this update you also update the radio to match the Rogers version. Otherwise you will loose data after a couple of days.

6. CooL_SpoT

CooL_SpoT Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Yay!! I also managed (against all odds, and flirting with a near-bricking) to get my phone rooted. Sorry, GBD, I just couldn't wait for confirmation... I'm a little impatient sometimes! :)

I'm running CursorSense 1.2.4 without a single mention of Rogers anywhere (well, except in the Mobile Networks section, which is the only place it has any right to be!).

Now that we've finally gotten our god-given rights back, can anyone recommend a convenient way of sifting through available ROMs and finding an appropriate fit?

7. vikingisson

The Cursorsense is still one of the better out there for the new radio. Marsdroid is a decent 1.6. 2.1 ROMs are still a bit flaky depending on how you setup unless you want to go back to the old radio. Speaking of, make sure you update your radio back to 6.35.10.18, the euro RUU is slightly different and you'll get your data cut again. flash radio to 6.35.10.18 and then whatever ROM you want.

8. Silvertag

Silvertag Well-Known Member

Like Viking said the most stable rom for now is CursorSense. The 2.1 roms are getting better but are full of bugs and are not recommended for daily usage unless you can live with the issues.

(All Listed ROMS are for NEW RADIO 6.35.xxx)

Stable ROM (1.5)
    -CusorSense32A v1.2.6.1
    -CM-4.2.15.1

Unstable ROM (2.1) Most of them have Youtube playback issues but i don't use it

-SuperHero 1.5 (No 3D Gallery, No Camera, No LiveWallPapers)

-SuperEclair2.1 V8.2 JitHack Portv0.8 (Was very laggy for me, No HTC SenseUI or Widgets, Some LWP Working with 3D disabled)

-Smoki 0.2.3 (No voicemail notification, No LWP, Some users reported GPS and Wifi issues, sms timestamp issues, FB synch issue) *Camera and 3D Gallery working