• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

We gotta wait till just before Christmas for some FROYO?

You'll have Froyo by Christmas after every other phone manufacturer already has it and you'll never see Gingerbread just that's just HTC's style. Trust me this is Hero 2.0, don't expect miracles from HTC just because it's the Evo they'll still be slow and generally bad about updates, wouldn't suprise me if the Epic beat the Evo to 2.2 much like the Moment beat the Hero, but don't blame the phone blame the company that made them.

On another good note for Evo and Epic owners there's a huge community out there so even if you don't get these updates officially you'll have custom ROMs to choose from, just don't expect HTC to give you anything, at least not on time.

Upvote 0
I would think much sooner than Christmas for the following reason; The Evo is HTC's flagship phone right now and they'll want to get that update out as soon as possible especially after all the screen, and grounding issues. Secondly, HTC makes more phones for more carriers than anyone and they also have a LOT of Android phones so he is saying that Froyo should be on ALL devices before Christmas. Evo is going to be in the front of the line in my opinion.

Upvote 0
I would think much sooner than Christmas for the following reason; The Evo is HTC's flagship phone right now and they'll want to get that update out as soon as possible especially after all the screen, and grounding issues. Secondly, HTC makes more phones for more carriers than anyone and they also have a LOT of Android phones so he is saying that Froyo should be on ALL devices before Christmas. Evo is going to be in the front of the line in my opinion.

that is the great hope. but so much HTC has done makes no sense.

Upvote 0
Thanks for not flaming - age is part of the see-saw.

I can remember a day when I read Childhood's End - btw - I think that you and the other one would make a nice pair.

And you can at least thank me for not trying to work ummagumma into this, because the last thing I'd ever do at this point would be to try to name drop ummagumma on a topic as serious as Froyo at Christmas. Not me, ummagumma is the last thing I'd mention.

And because the first thing I'm going to do when I get Froyo for Christmas is to crossload it and listen to Jade Warrior, this post just got on topic like no tomorrow.

All I can really say about Froyo is: Wish you were here.

Well, at least it's not that "other phone" with poor reception. Then you would just be saying; Hello...is there anybody out there?........and let's be honest.... would you rather be.... us...or them?

Reactions: EarlyMon
Upvote 0
Well, at least it's not that "other phone" with poor reception. Then you would just be saying; Hello...is there anybody out there?........and let's be honest.... would you rather be.... us...or them?

After realizing that I may have to wait later rather then sooner (for froyo), Id rather be "Comfortably Numb". :D

Upvote 0

As I'm rooted, I was going to just install Froyo myself - but these 7 spaces (all that I'm using from Sense - the 7 spaces, the clock/weather, a few radio-power widgets and a calendar - I can replace everything but the 7 spaces) on the Evo have made it so that I have become comfortably numb.

I considered that other phone many months before its initial debut. After it was established that it would be on AT&T I was all done. No need to even mention it. They might as well have put it on the dark side of the moon for all that I cared.

As for me showing my age, well - all I can tell you is that the memories of a man in his old age are the deeds of a man in his prime.

But anyone thinking that they NEED Froyo before Christmas - well - that's just so much grimble grumble.

Reactions: damewolf13
Upvote 0
As I'm rooted, I was going to just install Froyo myself - but these 7 spaces (all that I'm using from Sense - the 7 spaces, the clock/weather, a few radio-power widgets and a calendar - I can replace everything but the 7 spaces) on the Evo have made it so that I have become comfortably numb.

I considered that other phone many months before its initial debut. After it was established that it would be on AT&T I was all done. No need to even mention it. They might as well have put it on the dark side of the moon for all that I cared.

As for me showing my age, well - all I can tell you is that the memories of a man in his old age are the deeds of a man in his prime.

But anyone thinking that they NEED Froyo before Christmas - well - that's just so much grimble grumble.

:D

Reactions: damewolf13
Upvote 0
OK, now I just gotta ask: What the hell do you have going on in August?

:D

Nothing really other than wanting to shoot quality videos. I'm less concerned with the FPS (just harping on that because of their lies). I do share lots of video with friends and family (even some clients) and this garbled mess is crap. I want the quality of video I should have had when I took the phone from the store. I want to be able to shoot a reasonably decent video in less than bright sunlight.

August is generous IMO.

Upvote 0
Nothing really other than wanting to shoot quality videos. I'm less concerned with the FPS (just harping on that because of their lies). I do share lots of video with friends and family (even some clients) and this garbled mess is crap. I want the quality of video I should have had when I took the phone from the store. I want to be able to shoot a reasonably decent video in less than bright sunlight.

August is generous IMO.

Yeah. No. I'm hoping for H.264 video, then we'd stand a chance - but there's no such encoder in Android itself and no one's rushing to market one. I'm hoping that what I've read about the modularity of 2.2 is true and at that time we can hope for codec upgrades. I've read that one company, CoreCodec, has been working the issue since Apr 2009 and that's their excuse.

One thing you might try to exploit - fiddle with the ISO settings in photo, then switch to video. That's said to be a hole with the auto-exposure lock on the video side that I've been meaning to try out.

Until then, we're stuck with MPEG4 Part 2 (H.264 is Part 10, motion optimized) and already too-high bitrates for anything meaningful with that codec - it just a no-win scenario without significant bitrate changes - and brute force is never a solution, that's why they keep improving the codecs in the first place.

Once we have that, it might make sense to at least get better video control.

The lens and sensor on this beast is promising - not top of the line, but not bad - by playing with the settings, I've gotten much better than stock response for stills.

Let me know if the workaround really works or helps any.

Upvote 0
I think that Sprint and HTC might have originally intended an August release of Froyo to the Evo... but they're now infamous Bricking Update has probably chastised them to the point of moving like molasses on upgrades. I can't see them wanting a repeat.

What I hate is that they disabled the ability to use stock Android. I really wish we had a choice. I like Sense... but not if it requires I wait several months for updates.

Upvote 0
I'm still hoping for July Froyo. HTC's production will soon slow down overall due to AMOLED screen supply shortages. I hope that translates into keeping it's on-market devices like Evo in the forefront. HTC itself has a bit of a problem relying on Samsung for AMOLEDs because Samsung clearly will consume most of that supply for it's own devices since it's goals is to produce almost double the phones HTC planned for this year.

Upvote 0
I said this last month and will say it again. My friend who runs a Sprint store was told by Sprint Froyo would not be on the Evo until Dec...

Giving what we have seen in the past, this is probably true and that is what I'm betting on. I know they said soon, but what does soon truly mean?

I agree, giving what happened with the bricking I bet they skip over 2.2 and go right to Gingerbread.

Upvote 0
I think that Sprint and HTC might have originally intended an August release of Froyo to the Evo... but they're now infamous Bricking Update has probably chastised them to the point of moving like molasses on upgrades. I can't see them wanting a repeat.

What I hate is that they disabled the ability to use stock Android. I really wish we had a choice. I like Sense... but not if it requires I wait several months for updates.

Last I heard, the only people whose phones were bricked installed the update twice. I would say its far from an infamous incident.

Upvote 0
One thing you might try to exploit - fiddle with the ISO settings in photo, then switch to video. That's said to be a hole with the auto-exposure lock on the video side that I've been meaning to try out.

. . .
Let me know if the workaround really works or helps any.

Hi, I just tried this, filming a video on auto-iso, then switching to camera and changing iso to 100 and switching back to video. Then i switched ISO to 1250. Then I compared the three videos on my computer. The noise looks to be the same, as well as overall quality. Oh well.

Reactions: EarlyMon
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones