• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Weather app problems

Cam501

Feb 18, 2011
The default HTC weather app no longer updates on its own at all, regardless of whether I have it set to sync or not. I can sometimes get it to update manually, but it's intermittent. I initially had this problem with a dinc after getting an insurance refurb, but on my most recent of the 3 dna's I've been through it started gradually occurring until it became a constant issue I already was disappointed with the app as it was even when it was working correctly because it was always 100% of the time an hour behind the actual data. For instance, the weather app would say it's 78F at 5pm, but if you follow the link to accuweather.com from the app it would say it's 76F and if you looked back at the hourly temperature it would show 78 at 4pm. For the data discrepancy I've checked it with multiple sources: the accuweather site, national weather service site, and the google news and weather app(uses the weather channel) that is now back with 4.2.2.

Online weather apps don't update minute by minute. Some sites are better than others, but even the best ones are 5-10 minutes behind most of the time. The more often you check the weather, the more load you put on a server. If you check every time someone hits that page you could be checking a lot more than once a second.

I don't expect it to update all the time but when after a refresh it's impossible to get anything that is less than an hr behind what their own website shows it's a useless app. I've stopped using the app and am using the google/weather channel feed that's in the google news and weather app. It's always more current after refreshing. What's odd though is that I had this app from the start with 2.2 on my Dinc, but when I switched to using the DNA it was never on the phone until I updated to 4.2.2

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones