• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Weather app with future cast ?

noname4

Jul 20, 2014
All,

When I watch my local weather channel on TV, they show the moving radar up to the present time, and then they show what they predict the radar will look like for the next few hours. They call this the "futurecast", and I am not sure if that is the generic name for it or not.

Now I know there are plenty of weather app that give hourly weather predictions, and that these are based on the "futurecast" amonngst other things.

But has anyone seem a weather app that gives both "moving radar" and the "moving radar" forcast ?

Thanks ....

Hi noname4,

I've tried a lot of different weather apps, and I swear that I remember seeing one that would do what you describe - you could drag your finger across the screen to see future radar projections. I just can't for the life of me find that one right now. I'll keep looking!

In the meantime, this *may* be of some use: Forecast.io Viewer

Upvote 0
The Weather Network app (not The Weather Channel) shows the predicted precipitation forecast. However, I find that it is very inaccurate. The forecast just takes the last frame and then moves it according to the wind direction. It doesn't take into account terrain. I'm in Metro Vancouver, B.C. and the mountains and hills really affect where preciptation falls.

If you want to give it a try, it's here: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.pelmorex.WeatherEyeAndroid

Reactions: codesplice
Upvote 0
I like my app called weather.
I dont know what itll find on play with that search lol.

But it is paid, 15 bucks.
But it shows up to the miniut nexrad radar, all tilts, ect ect. Realy professional. But only shows now and the past.

This sounds cool also. Any chance you could track down the package name so I could find it on the Play Store? :)

Upvote 0
Stuntman, that's a weather app that I actually haven't tried. I didn't think there were many of those left! ;)

/me runs off to install it :thumbup:

The app is made by the Canadian weather network. That is probably why you didn't know about it.

I'm currently using 1Weather, but I use TWN to augment it. 1Weather has everything I want. I love the widget as it can show the hourly, short term or long range forecast. It has easy access to the radar imagery (easier than TWN). It even has cat pictures for the background of the app.

The only thing I don't like about it is that the current temperature is really wrong for my area. When I travel around to different municipalities in Metro Vancouver, the current conditions and forcast changes to reflect the municipality. The weather is quite different due to the terrain. Richmond gets half as much precipitation as Coquitlam and they are only about 25 km apart. The forecast is correct, but the temperature is always too low for this time of year. I'm thinking that 1Weather only takes the temperature from one weather station in Metro Vancouver and that is the airport which is by the water and cooler than inland areas.

In order to fix this, I end up using the TWN widget. I just place the 2x1 TWN widget over top of the 1Weather widget (4x2 resized to 3x2 with padding removed) so it covers up the current temperature. That way, I get the beneift of the 1Weather widget for its forecast information and TWN for its current conditions information. I use Nova Prime launcher which allows me to put screen objects over top of other screen objects.

Reactions: codesplice
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones