Weather forecast updates with no data connection ?

Last Updated:

1. Bel-O-Kan

Bel-O-Kan New Member This Topic's Starter

Hello all,

I'm the happy owner of an Hero since one week but I have an "issue" with the Weather widget, the widget itself and the info under the clock in the home page.
    I live in France but I work in another country, I've not enabled auto data roaming as it costs a lot ... Problem is that at 6:30am for instance the forecasts are updated, then I cross the border, data mode becomes disable and then 6h after, the logo still shows a moon and the 7

Advertisement
  2. SirGaz

SirGaz Active Member

Well without the data connection how are you expecting it to update?

Not sure how you thought the SBP Mobile Shell worked, cos I bet it was actually using a data connection if it updated.

3. Merago

Merago Well-Known Member

I think the point he's trying to make is, the weather widget is able to forecast ahead 5 days when it is connected, so it's not inconcievable that a weather app could cache this data and use a best guess based on the information in that cache to display what the weather may be when no data connection is available. I'd say it should also be pretty straightforward to have an app that bases the display on the current time (as in showing a moon only at night and a sun (or clouds or whatever) during the day, without the need for a data connection.
    I can't help with a better weather app I'm afraid, but I do get where you're coming from. It seems simple enough though, so I'm sure someone has thought of it already.

4. Bel-O-Kan

Bel-O-Kan New Member This Topic's Starter

SirGaz> As Merago explained in a few words what I was trying to explain (still have to increase my english skill :)) SPB was caching data for about 5 days, as the htc widget seems to cache 3. This means depending on he time of the day it was able to display different pictures based on the weather it has in cache for actual period of the day.

Instead, the HTC widget displays the last status before the data mode becomes unavailable ... And I spend most of time with a moon and an overnight T