• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Weather on the lock screen

shyFluttershy

Mar 21, 2013
Hello.

Is there any way to change which weather widget shows up on the lock screen?

Right now, it pulls the info from the AccuWeather widget on the TouchWiz launcher. The thing is, I use a different launcher and a different weather app. The AccuWeather info on the lock screen does not update unless I explicitly go into TouchWiz and refresh the widget. (I had some really strange weather reports on my lock screen for the longest time before I realized this was the case!)

Thank you.

Yes; if you long-tap & hold, you can drag it to the trash icon, lower right of screen. Then, you're free to install any widget you choose; usually in reverse order of previous inst., find desired app, dbl. tap & hold to create the shortcut. If it winds-up on the wrong panel, dbl. tap the icon & drag it left or right to get it to the desired panel.

Hope this helps...
Peace,
Sox

Upvote 0
Yes; if you long-tap & hold, you can drag it to the trash icon, lower right of screen. Then, you're free to install any widget you choose; usually in reverse order of previous inst., find desired app, dbl. tap & hold to create the shortcut. If it winds-up on the wrong panel, dbl. tap the icon & drag it left or right to get it to the desired panel.

Hope this helps...
Peace,
Sox

If I understand you correctly, you're saying I should remove the AccuWeather widget from TouchWiz and replace it with the widget of my choice? And so the weather on the lock screen will take its information from that?

If that's not what you mean, could you please clarify?

Thank you.

Upvote 0
Yep...I jus' now doodid it (@8:06 pm CDT) with mine...and I'm currently running the ICS 4.0.4 recovery that tyler1998 posted up recently. Deleted the accuweather window, and pulled a clock widget up from the clock widgets in settings!

Peace,
Sox

Edit: Whoops...hold on a sec..I just re-read your op...you're talkin' about the LOCK SCREEN ITSELF? My apologies, honestly. Um, I personally don't have an accuweather widget on my LS...I was under the mistaken impression you meant 'home screen'. Pretty sure this will not help that senario, sorry!

Upvote 0
If I understand you correctly, you're saying I should remove the AccuWeather widget from TouchWiz and replace it with the widget of my choice? And so the weather on the lock screen will take its information from that?

If that's not what you mean, could you please clarify?

Thank you.

t-sauce12 is right. There's probably a few apps out there that will let you set the lockscreen EXACTLY the way you want...although I can't think of any specifically; never used 'em.

Edit: Just came from Play Store; there's SCADS OF 'EM!

Upvote 0
t-sauce12 is right. There's probably a few apps out there that will let you set the lockscreen EXACTLY the way you want...although I can't think of any specifically; never used 'em.

Edit: Just came from Play Store; there's SCADS OF 'EM!

Sweet. :) And with any luck, there are at least a handful of decent ones that are free.

Thank you.

Upvote 0
Not a problem; and again, very sorry about the initial mis-direction :stupid:...

It's okay. :)

Although I am having trouble finding a free one that will do what I want it to do, which is to let me customize what widgets I have on my lock screen. I've been doing a lot of Googling, and apparently, Jelly Bean is supposed to let you do this, but I haven't figured out how. :banghead:

Upvote 0
It's okay. :)

Although I am having trouble finding a free one that will do what I want it to do, which is to let me customize what widgets I have on my lock screen. I've been doing a lot of Googling, and apparently, Jelly Bean is supposed to let you do this, but I haven't figured out how. :banghead:

Actually jellybean does do this, just not 4.1.2, for that we need 4.2.1, witch is a major system update to add this feature

Now the AccuWeather widget's are 3 apps in system, accuweather widget (home screen widget), accuweaher widget main (lock screen widget), and AccuWeather deamon (what makes them work)

You can remove them, but there will be problems from the lock screen widget (force closes)

You can theme/customize the weather widget to your liking, with different weather icons....
There is an app in the play store called ninja morph. The weather icons are in system/framework/framework-res.apk

I personally, disable the lock screen, and use lockerpro.apk or widget locker

Also the sgs3 weather widget was ported to other torchwiz devices, it works for the galaxy rush stock touchwiz launcher, it should work for this device also

Upvote 0
This information comes directly from my Kyocera Hydro Vibe user manual. I am not going to say it will work for all Android phones.

Lock Screen Widgets

You can add widgets to your phone's lock screen and swipe between them. This feature allows you to access many of your favorite features straight from the lock screen.

Note: You can only use the Widgets option of the lock screen if you set it up to start with Swipe.

Add a Widget to the Lock Screen

1. When the screen lock is set to Swipe, slide the screen from right to left until you get to the page with a Plus icon on it.

2. Touch the Plus icon. A list of widgets appears.

3. Touch the widget you want to add.

You can add one widget to each page.

Tip: You can add up to five widgets to your lock screen. To reorder locations, touch and hold a widget, and then drag it to a new location you want.

Remove a Lock Screen Widget
  • Touch and hold the widget you want to remove, and then drag it to “X Remove” at the top of the screen, and then release it when it turns red.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones