• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

weather texts from "95857" : //BREW ...no idea why, they won't stop!

...anytime there is bad weather i get these texts.

this is happening from the stock weather app apparently. I haven't installed any weather apps. I tried to text "stop" and "end" back to them as reply, but no luck.

I don't see anything under manage applications for weather that will let me change it.

any suggestions?

I'm getting these messages (very annoying) on a new line of service. I've never had WeatherBug (and still don't) and as a matter of fact, I've never had this carrier (Verizon) or phone number until a few weeks ago.

After a rather frustrating call with Verizon support, all they can do was block alert SMS messages and premium SMS messages. I may try to call WeatherBug (the number given above), however, since I've never had an account with them, it seems unlikely that I'll be able to make any headway.

While I don't plan to sign-up for any alert messages and definitely not any premium messages, it's lame that this is all Verizon can do.

Upvote 0
Call WB. It sounds like the previous owner of the number signed up for the alerts. Hopefully you can track it down the who and where and stop it.

Not sure what you would want vzw to do.

Thanks! I'll give WB a call and see what comes of it.

About what I was hoping VZW would do; I guess I'm not certain. My previous post was prior to my knowing that the source was WB. The first VZW rep that I spoke with wasn't able (or willing) to identify the shortcode owner. Then I found this thread and a 2nd VZW rep verified that WB is indeed the source (specifically, the source is WeatherBugProfessional). Hopefully they will find my mobile number in their system and deactivate it.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones