Weather Widget "current location" problem seems to be related to signal strengthSupport

Last Updated:

1. jayochs

jayochs Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

i'm beginning to think that in 2.2, if you have a lower signal strength (such as i do in my house), it can't tell your location anymore. in my house, wiht 2.1, it always told me my town. now, with 2.2, it says, fro the most part with a lower signal, "current location." however, when i turn wifi on, it'll tell me my town right away, leading me to believe that since my wifi signal is great in my house, it's giving me the correct location.

anyone have any thoughts?

Advertisement
  2. jayochs

*bump*

anyone? any ideas? this is something that's starting to piss me off pretty bad, ugh.

fyi, noticed also that when it says "current location," it's showing DIFFERENT WEATHER CONDITIONS than when it says my town. ugh

3. jws3

jws3 Well-Known Member

I tend to see "current location" a lot more as well as less frequent changes in location as I drive around.

4. jtb199

jtb199 Well-Known Member

I too have get the current location a lot...this is my experience only...and was just experimenting...

I done a battery pull...left it our for around 5 mins...

Booted back up...of course i have the losing 3G thing also...so i have to do the airplane mode trick to get 3G back...but it has "fixed" the current location thing the three times I've done it...

Again...my experience only...may try it yourself and see if it works for you...

BTW...I have full bars...

And I haven't tried your wifi trick since I dont have any wifi spots...

5. bbuuzz4

bbuuzz4 New Member

I have the same problem but it doesn't matter if I have full signal strength or not, it still wont update properly after the 2.2 download.

6. inKRbl

inKRbl Active Member

Last night I had the text "current location" with no weather info at all in a nearby verizon dead zone. I think it tried to update the weather, got no 3G, so fell back to 1X and then punted.

I concur with the guesses here: "current location" means that it is failing to map a town name to the location derived from the cell repeater you're using.

My phone reset the location correctly once I got into a better cell area.

If "current location" is stuck on your widget, try deleting the widget (click/hold, drag off bottom) and reinstall it (+ | widget | Clock HTC). That fixed it for me once.

7. jayochs

funny thing is, knock on wood, lately it's been fine. and NOTHING has changed. just yet another inconsistancy with froyo! lol

8. Reverence

Reverence Well-Known Member

Mine was fine when I first updated, however the last few days it has been acting up. I've been getting current location a lot whether I'm on 3G or WiFi, and it only seems to show the actual location when I take the time to manually refresh, and even sometimes that doesn't work.

Does anyone else notice that the sync periods in the settings are messed up, because I have it set to sync once a day, and since my update to froyo it has been doing it multiple times a day.

9. CharlieD

CharlieD Well-Known Member

I've tried all the tricks mentioned here and nothing really works. Once in a while it will pick up my actual location, but it seems to change to "current location" after a while.