weather widget is very slow to update?

Last Updated:

1. mslisaj

mslisaj Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Any fix for this problem? Sometimes it displays the same weather and temps all day.

Advertisement
  2. Cody

Cody New Member

You can refresh by clicking directly on it at your home screen and then clicking the refresh icon at the bottom left. I find it updates maybe every 30 minutes or so.

3. tatonka_Hero

tatonka_Hero Well-Known Member

It seems to have a bug that sometimes it'll update every 30 minutes, and sometimes it won't. There's no way to adjust that.

There's quite a few other weather widgets in the market that work better, but aren't necessarily as pretty lol

4. Greebe

Greebe Member

LOL now there's an understatement. :) I was up in Temple Terrace last week and mine not only didn't update the weather in a timely fashion (never does) but it still shown us at the mall in Brandon the next morning when @ home in Bradenton.

And then there U are showing the phone to someone at night and the weather shows the Sun 5 hours after sunset. Rediculous

And once you've launched the widget one would expect it to auto update @ that time, not forcing you to manually update it >5 times.

Sloppy programming and sloppy execution.

5. scottmbolt

scottmbolt Well-Known Member

I too am not impressed with the stock weather widget (I do like the look of it). What other options are there for weather apps? What are some of the good options?

6. cooolone2

cooolone2 Well-Known Member

As a matter of fact you can save a huge amount of battery by turning off the auto-update feature in the weather settings. I think it make a lot of sense (no pun) to turn it off, because unless I am going to travel to another place which is far enough away, I would check the weather there anyway, so why the updating? lol, just my opinion. The battery use issues with this widget is documented in the battery thread, just thought you might like to know.

:)

7. sarspants

sarspants Well-Known Member

I switched to beautiful home for that exact reason. They just released a new skin that compliments fresh 1.1 perfectly. I think its called glass

8. mslisaj

mslisaj Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Thank you for your responses gentlemen, hopefully things like bugs and timing will be addressed in the coming update were all waiting for.

Lisa

9. derspiess

derspiess Well-Known Member

The weather.com (Weather Channel) app is solid. It has a widget that is a small icon displaying the temperature & weather (cloud, sun, snow, etc.). The widget updates itself almost instantaneously when you go to your home screen, and the full app itself runs quick & gives you access to current condtions as well as hourly, 36-hour, and 10-day forecasts.

If you're allergic to ads, I should note that they have a tiny ad at the bottom of the app for "Wake Up with Al". It's pretty unobtrusive, though.

I still like the HTC widget because it looks so nice, but the weather.com app is my "go to" for weather.

10. jimeller

jimeller Well-Known Member

i use snowstorm weather widget. it customizable with skins and font colour changes too, It also seems more accurate with my location.

11. Fubie

Fubie Well-Known Member

Great find and LOL. A note on Snowstorms market page explains:

"HTC Sense on Hero Sprint (US, ROM v1.29) contains a bug that causes configurations to get lost on reboot"

Well since I my Hero keeps loosing the custom settings for my Weather Channel widget I guess the problem is still around in v1.56.651.2...

Fubie
    HTC Hero and Sprint
    The Not Right Now Android Phone™ on the Now Network™.
    Unlike a certain battery powered bunny who keeps "Going and going and going..." the Hero keeps "Waiting and waiting and waiting..."