1. Introducing Channels - a new way to chat with other Android users!
    Dismiss Notice

Weatherbug Elite Help

Last Updated:

1. lexluthor

lexluthor Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I think I'm having issues with Weatherbug Elite.

I'm using the 3 day widget on my Droid X homescreen.

I have updating set to 2 hours and I have my location on.

1) The current temp in the widget for my current location is updated much more frequently than every 2 hours. Why would that be the case? I'm worried that's using more battery than I'd like.

2) My location isn't changing automatically. If I click on the 3 day forecast to go into the actual program, then my location updates. Shouldn't it update my location when it does the next scheduled check (every 2 hours)?

Am I supposed to have follow me on? What does that do?

Advertisement
  2. lexluthor

Ok. I figured out issue #2.

I do have to have follow me on. Enable my location allows the app to find my location (when opened). Follow must run a service that finds my location without running the app.

Still, I'm concerned about item 1. Why is it updating so frequently? Makes me wonder how often the app is checking the temp and how much battery that's using.

3. jp0469

jp0469 Well-Known Member

I have a theory for issue #2. Most (if not all) weather sites have hour by hour predictions for both temperature and conditions. I think that Weatherbug is probably "guessing" your current temp and conditions using the predicted data. It may even average out the data by looking at the most recent actual update. I noticed this because most nights I put my phone in airplane mode when going to bed and when I wake up, the weather info has changed to show something closer to the current temp and the conditions have changed from clear (night) to sunny (day) for example.

4. lexluthor

I edited above. I meant that I had figured out issue #2, not #2, but I still see you replied regarding issue #1, so that's good.

Interesting theory. That'd be pretty nice. Since I'm set to update every 2 hours anyhow, it really won't be that far off ever.

I signed up for the weatherbug support forum, but it requires admin approval first, so I'll post my issue there once I can get in.

5. lexluthor

Wow, I still haven't been approved by their forum admin.

I'd like to post my question #1 there.

That's pretty bad.

6. dautley

dautley VIP Member VIP Member

I received a automatic update for weather bug elite that's suppose to address issues in 2.2 this morning.

7. bbrosius

bbrosius Member

Greetings from WeatherBug. Our app doesn't do any kind of prediction of what your temperature is. The temp displayed on the widget is what we are reading the weather station for your location.

There are several other reasons that it may update more often. If your phone is left alone then it should update on the interval you specify. However we also update on phone restart, when a new widget is created/refreshed, and when the app is opened. If you did any of those things before the two hours was up you would see the widget update.

8. bbrosius

bbrosius Member

And I apologize about the slowness in getting approved for our forums. We're in the process of switching forums so hopefully all the kinks will be worked out soon.

9. lexluthor

I don't think any of those occurred.

Is it possible it was updating upon change of cell tower (which might have also resulted in a change of city)?

10. bbrosius

bbrosius Member

It is possible that we caught a location update from your wireless provider or gps if that is turned on.

I have to admit I've never actually seen the app update too often usually people report it not updating enough haha.

If this continues to occur please email me at bbrosius@aws.com. And I'll try to get to the bottom of what's causing this.

Out of curiosity does it seem like our app is draining your battery when this is happening. For instance do we show up as running for a long period time in the battery section of the about phone settings.

11. lexluthor

Actually I'm no longer using the widget.

What's bizarre though is that I'm using the fancy widget clock/weather widget and regardless of the refresh setting in it, it's also updating the weather every few minutes too.

Is there something in the system that would be making these update?

Its almost like it's updating every time I go to the home screen with it on it.

Maybe I'll move it to a more remote home page to test that.

12. bbrosius

bbrosius Member

I'm not sure how the other widget works, but for WeatherBug we are using a system alarm set to the update interval you select. So the only way we should update more often is if the system is sending this alarm in error.

That's a pretty standard practice so if you notice a lot of widgets having this problem, it could possibly be a problem with your phone.

13. lexluthor

[SIZE=-1]I[/SIZE] figured out what's going on, but I'm not sure why it's doing it.

There's a running service called UpdateService under Date and Time. It says process com.motorola.home.other.

If I stop that service, it respawns. When it respawns, weatherbug refreshes the weather. I tested it a few times by stopping that service and every time I do it, the last refresh time of weatherbug, is exactly the time the service started back up.

Somehow that service must be force refreshing weatherbug even with fancy widgets updates turned off.

14. lexluthor

Ok, now I have my solution. I did root my Droid X. I used Titanium to freeze the item "Data and time update 2.1" and both fancy widgets and weatherbug no longer update at random intervals. I've reported this to both developers.

No negative effects from freezing that service that I can tell so far. It's probably how the moto widgets (which I'm not using) refresh.

15. hezhonker

hezhonker Member

Has anyone, using the Time and Temp Widget, seen an issue with the upcoming appointment? I use Google Calendar on my HTC Evo and have one (the default) calendar. It shows my next upcoming event as Thursday of next week although I have many other appointments repeating, all day and timed before it. :confused:

I use google to sync ota my calendar solely and do not use pc sync.