• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Web Browser Help Needed

oddible

Lurker
Mar 26, 2010
I just got a Samsung Galaxy Nexus to replace my HTC Magic and am having a lot of trouble with the simplest function, web browsing.

In the HTC Magic, when I opened a web page, it did a really great job of fitting the page to my screen (except of course where rigid html formatting prevented it). In the Galaxy Nexus browser I either get a) the preview mode or b) poor fit to page. (Yes, I'm aware of those two checkboxes in the settings).

Preview Mode
Almost completely unusable and I really don't understand its purpose. The preview mode shows me the entire web page on my screen with text unreadably small, thus always requiring two fingered zoom - is there some feature I'm missing which will quickly switch from preview mode to readable mode without cumbersome zoom mechanics?

Fit to Screen
Not sure why but this feature never does what I would expect. Even on pages where my old Android device would handily reflow the text so I could read the site, this device seems to fail and always require me to either change the zoom or spin it sideways and both usually require me to slide the page back and forth to read every line.

What am I doing wrong here? I want this device to work like the 2.1 browser!

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones