• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Web browser question and random rant

tpothen

Lurker
Oct 25, 2010
Just purchased a Fascinate and I have a question on the web browser. I stream music from a media server but with this phone when the screen shuts off the music stops playing, is there a setting on the phone for this? also is there tabs for surfing the internet?

So far my biggest problem is the keyboard in landscape. Who the heck decided to not have a full space bar located in the correct position. Is this normal on the droid OS? I text a fair amount, average 10000 a month, and am having a hard time with this one. I am coming from several Iphones but I cant believe other people do not find the space bar annoying.

There is nothing wrong with a full size space bar, only this phone does not have a full size standard space bar in landscape, it has a small button on the right side of the screen. In portrait view it is the standard layout but turn the phone sideways and the space bar moves to the right of the comma, non-standard.

Is this the standard layout for the Android OS?

Upvote 0
I am lost regarding your keyboard space bar comment. Here is my landscape keyboard ..

snap20101025_094417.png

p.s. "I text a fair amount, average 10000 a month..."

LOL, fair amount? Wow, that seems like a lot to me!

Upvote 0
Popular browsers include Dolphin HD, xScope, Skyfire if you'd like to try something other than stock. They all have tabs. Dolphin has the most features, it's quite impressive and makes Safari look old-school IMO. xScope is fast and I prefer its interface, currently my fave. Skyfire plays flash video.

For the keyboard you can try different ones in the Market too. iPhone Keyboard Emulator, Better Keyboard has an iPhone skin I think, a lot of people like Smart Keyboard Pro.

I have no idea why your data is dropping with the screen off. I stream Pandora all the time and don't have this issue. Maybe it's specific to the stream you're listening to. You're not running Juice Defender are you?

Upvote 0
In what way is the internet cutting out? If you're streaming Pandora or something then yes, something else is definitely up. But after about a minute (I haven't timed it) it cuts off wifi (and possibly 3G, not sure) to save on power, if it isn't plugged in. If it's plugged in - either to a computer or just an outlet - the wifi'll stay on. Hence why I always plug it in at work, or I'd have to go to the security page, enter my email, and hit Accept every single fricken' time I wanted to check email.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones