Web browser question and random rantSupport

Last Updated:

1. tpothen

tpothen Member This Topic's Starter

Just purchased a Fascinate and I have a question on the web browser. I stream music from a media server but with this phone when the screen shuts off the music stops playing, is there a setting on the phone for this? also is there tabs for surfing the internet?

So far my biggest problem is the keyboard in landscape. Who the heck decided to not have a full space bar located in the correct position. Is this normal on the droid OS? I text a fair amount, average 10000 a month, and am having a hard time with this one. I am coming from several Iphones but I cant believe other people do not find the space bar annoying.

Advertisement
  2. esn

esn Well-Known Member

The Fascinate IMO has a great keyboard no need for a after market on. What's wrong with a full size space bar?

3. tpothen

There is nothing wrong with a full size space bar, only this phone does not have a full size standard space bar in landscape, it has a small button on the right side of the screen. In portrait view it is the standard layout but turn the phone sideways and the space bar moves to the right of the comma, non-standard.

Is this the standard layout for the Android OS?

4. Don S

Don S Well-Known Member

I am lost regarding your keyboard space bar comment. Here is my landscape keyboard ..

[​IMG]

p.s. "I text a fair amount, average 10000 a month..."

LOL, fair amount? Wow, that seems like a lot to me!

5. Halcyon

Halcyon Well-Known Member

The Swype keyboard has a smaller spacebar. But I like it.

6. tpothen

Thanks all, I now have the Standard keyboard layout. Between the screen shot from Don and Halcyon mentioning the swype keyboard bring smaller I was able to Google how to change between them.

I'm still wondering about the tabs on the web browser though.

7. Moonfire

Moonfire Well-Known Member

If you're using the default browser, hitting Menu > Windows brings up the current "tabs" open. I'm sure other browsers do as well, though the only one I've tried is the Firefox one, and it's very beta.

8. tpothen

Thanks Moonfire, I cant believe I didn't see that. I'm really starting to like the phone. The last issue is the internet dropping when the screen shuts off, any ideas?

9. NOsquid

NOsquid Well-Known Member

Popular browsers include Dolphin HD, xScope, Skyfire if you'd like to try something other than stock. They all have tabs. Dolphin has the most features, it's quite impressive and makes Safari look old-school IMO. xScope is fast and I prefer its interface, currently my fave. Skyfire plays flash video.

For the keyboard you can try different ones in the Market too. iPhone Keyboard Emulator, Better Keyboard has an iPhone skin I think, a lot of people like Smart Keyboard Pro.

I have no idea why your data is dropping with the screen off. I stream Pandora all the time and don't have this issue. Maybe it's specific to the stream you're listening to. You're not running Juice Defender are you?

10. Moonfire

Moonfire Well-Known Member

In what way is the internet cutting out? If you're streaming Pandora or something then yes, something else is definitely up. But after about a minute (I haven't timed it) it cuts off wifi (and possibly 3G, not sure) to save on power, if it isn't plugged in. If it's plugged in - either to a computer or just an outlet - the wifi'll stay on. Hence why I always plug it in at work, or I'd have to go to the security page, enter my email, and hit Accept every single fricken' time I wanted to check email.

11. tpothen

I am just streaming from a general website (noshoesradio.com). I set the screen time out to 1 minute, After the minute passes the music stops playing till I wake the phone up. This is over the 3G network, I have not tried it over Wifi