• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Web browsers with User Agent switching?

deadinside

Jul 24, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
Ok, what I am trying to see if there is more than the normal popular web browsers out there that support user agent switching. I am looking for those that support either custom or iOS settings.

Before I get attacked for wanting to emulate a iOS product I will explain.

The company I work for uses a 3rd party vendor for eBooks for our students we work with. They use a proprietary software that only worked on Mac or PC's to download the book as well as a online website.

Yesterday the vendor launched an app for the iOS that allows the users to download the books to their devices. They also altered the online version of the site to work perfectly with iOS devices.

They refuse to take into consideration Android devices and the website will not display the eBooks properly on any android device.

However, when playing around with Dolphin and xScope the User Agent settings have iPhone/iPad in them. After enabling them, the site thinks its a iOS device and the content works beautifully with it.

What I am trying to do is catalog the other browsers out there that support user agent switching to try to catalog the ones we can suggest to students to use.

Dolphin, xScope, Opera and Skyfire all support user agent switching, as does the tip above about switching the UA of the stock browser.

Thanks for the info on the UA switching ability in the Stock browser.

That one seems like it maybe proprietary to certain phones though.

IE: Samsung Behold 2, does not recognize it. Nor is it listed in the menu on stock. The Moto X also does not seem to do anything when going to about:debug. However the option to set the string in the settings was there. I can check to see how it works on a Hero, Driod 1 and a G1 Monday at my job

Bonus: it does have the iPhone settings and also works.
Downside: Since it seems there is no standardized instructions for it, it's something impossible to document as far as a training manual for my work. Let alone someone walking a student through a general android phone for it.

As for Opera, I think I missing where to find this option for that in Opera Mini. I even tried Opera:Config and could not find the option.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones