Web crawls using wifi

Last Updated:

1. Linx

Linx Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I've been noticing that my internet is real slow, sometimes coming to a stop while loading while on WiFi. If I go and turn WiFi off, it loads real fast and so does every page after. Why is this happening and is there some setting I need to do? My 4g works very fast too.

Advertisement
  2. EarlyMon

EarlyMon The PearlyMon Moderator

I recommend Wifi Analyzer, free from the Market.

You might find that you have some channel conflict going on there and that's easily solvable.

3. Cobravision

Cobravision Well-Known Member

I have the same issue. I'm going to try out the analyzer EarlyMon recommended, but I'm pretty sure it's because my wireless router is on its last legs.

4. Rob_A

Rob_A Well-Known Member

did you try restarting your router? (Power off, power on)

5. EarlyMon

My horror story from a few years back - just a very few.

First to get broadband in the neighborhood, first with wifi. Suddenly at one point, my VoIP phone starts getting all sorts of dropout and one of the older computers always has DHCP issues on startup. The phone box seemed cheap to me and the computer was way old. Everything else in the house was just fine.

So, I'm getting ready to swap out the router, retire the older machine, yadda yadda yadda.

One thing leads to another - first, I found I never changed the default router/net name - and second, that my next-street neighbor's terrain compared to mine was helping his antenna signal - and third, that Murphy is alive and well.

We were both using the net name ACTIONTEC, we were always coming on to the same channel and many times his signal would nearly equal my own, in parts of the rear of the house nearest his.

Was at a buddy's house recently. He's on his third router. He, and his left hand and right hand neighbors - all on the same channel.

Was in Denver International Airport. Several wifi hotspots exist there - and they're all on the same channel.

Wifi Analyzer baby! Don't leave home without it!

Because sometimes, like when you're waiting to catch a flight at DIA, your wifi solution is to turn off the chaos and just use 3G.

PS - There's a whole operational theory about wifi routers should really do for channel selection on startup. And then there's what they really do.

6. Linx

Downloading analyzer right now. I haven't reset my router but it does this at home and work. Another thing I forgot to mention which is a whole other issue is when I'm around a WiFi signal my WiFi radio turns itself on. I would turn it off at either the desktop switch or in settings and after a minute or so it turns itself back on. What's that about?

7. Rigmaster

Rigmaster Well-Known Member

Try your wifi somewhere else too. Optimum has a lot of access points here in the NY/NJ area. I've never had an issue with my router, but I have had 1-2 problems with Optimum (Cablevision) that was basically server congestion on their end. They didn't announce anything because the fix happened sooner than they could get an announcement out.

8. Linx

Ok I downloaded the analyzer. Do I need to do anything from here or just run it?

9. EarlyMon

Just run it. Drag left/right to see various pages.

On the channel page, tap the top where your network name appears to see channels from other nets - the meter widget will only show for a net you're logged into, so far as I know.

Your x-y graph of signal strength vs. wifi channels is the number one to pay attention to - it'll show the signal of each wifi router its picking up as well the signal strength and the network names.