Web sites that don't work completely with a table

Last Updated:

1. CharlesLewis

CharlesLewis Well-Known Member

I've tried a couple of tablets in the past (Kindle Fire and Asus Transformer) and haven't been satisfied. The Kindle's problem is obvious; it just wasn't designed for what I wanted. But the Asus looked like a winner to replace my laptop when it dies, except for problems with some web sites.

Using Mint and Gmail, for example, I found some of the features I need are not available. If I access Mint on my laptop, I can adjust budget categories, but when I tried it on the tablet, no dice. And Gmail on the tablet doesn't support emails to groups I have set up (on the laptop, I can type the group name and it expands to all of the email addresses; on the tablet, it simply shows up as an invalid address). To make matters worse, the GroupU app on my phone didn't seem to be available for the tablet.

I followed the instructions to tell the web browser (and I tried several) to appear as a full browser, not a mobile, but apparently some web sites are just too smart to be fooled.

I haven't experimented in the last six months and am wondering if any of the newer tablets have found a way to avoid these problems?

2. mikedt

mikedt 你好 Guide

Have you tried using the Mint for Android app rather than trying to use the browser?
  3. CharlesLewis

Yes, but it only has limited functions. I need to access Mint.com on the web to get the full range of options.
  4. mikedt

mikedt 你好 Guide

Have you tried using a different browser where you can change the user agent string to so it appears as a desktop PC rather than mobile, to fool the websites? Not sure which browsers support this though.
  5. CharlesLewis

Yes, I tried it with several different ones. The one I use on my phone is Dolphin, but I download three or four others and tested them as well. None that I tried did the job, though obviously I could have missed the magic one.
  6. mikedt

mikedt 你好 Guide

Just a thought, is the Mint website using Java for some of its functionality? There being no Java in Android browsers. Cant test Mint myself, as it's not available here.