• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

WebSharing: access files/music/photos from a web browser on WiFi

hi, i have a quick question, what is webADV ?

Sorry, haven't been on in a bit. Check out the help section for more info on WebDAV. Technically it stands for Web Distributed Authoring and Versioning, but it's most commonly used to mount a filesystem over HTTP, in much the same way you'd mount a Windows network share. We're using it for this purpose with WebSharing, such that you can see the contents of your phone in a folder on your desktop (with all data going over wi-fi).

Upvote 0
WebSharing 1.6.0 has been released!

This version adds support for the Droid Incredible's internal storage. It has taken a fair amount of time to add this feature, as previously we only needed to support a single storage location (in addition to the few days delay required to hunt down an Incredible by seemingly calling every VZW store and Best Buy in a 75 mile radius). Users of other phones should not even notice the presence of this feature, as it is completely disabled.

Also new in 1.6 is the ability to play videos using HTML5 rather than Flash. This feature requires that you have both an HTML5 capable browser and that it can play H264/MP4 video. At the moment, I've found this only appears possible on Safari 4 on a Mac.

And finally the capability to delete photos has been added to the Photos tab. Similar capabilities will be added for Music and Videos in future releases. (And as previously, anything can be deleted from the filesystem using the Files tab).

Upvote 0
This app is absolutely amazing. No more lugging cables around from my office, house, friends house, etc. Just amazing. Exactly what I needed and works great.

Have you put any thought into adding 4g support? When I try to use it on 4g it won't pick up an IP and doesn't appear to think I have a connection.

Most likely you'd just have to check a different interface to get the IP. It might be pretty involved though.

I do appreciate that there are only two 4g phones our right now so only a small portion of users are effected by this. It'd be nice though given how fast 4g is where available. :)

Awesome app and great work!

Upvote 0
Yesterday it worked fine.
Today regardless of power cycling the gateway and clearing caches, I get he connection is failing.
I am using a desktop and router in a gateway which allows use of a laptop and phones.
We are fine on my end but WebSharing fails the last two. When I click email it does not give an address to write to.
Any ideas?
Thanks

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones