Weird Battery Issues

Last Updated:

1. fatedcircle

fatedcircle Member This Topic's Starter

So I'm currently on my second Captivate after my first one seemed to have terrible battery life (couldn't even last me a full work day). The new one i have doesnt seem to be all that much better. The two phones just seem to drain so much battery in idle and i just could not put my finger on what the problem may be. At first, I thought it may be an app I had, so i restored my phone to factory settings, but still it seemed to drain a lot in idle.

So for the last three nights, I tried sleeping with my phone unplugged to see how much it would drain.

1st night i had it in airplane mode - 12%.
    2nd night with 3g on and wifi off - 12%.
    3rd night with just 2g on - 0%.

so my question is: why would my phone drain the same amount in airplane mode as with 3g on but with 2g on the battery drain is nothing?? Is everyone else getting similar battery drains trough the night?

I only have a week before my 30 day return period is over and I would hate to have to return this phone. If anyone can help me out this week and leave their phone unplugged through the night using the configurations i had and share their results, it would be greatly appreciated.

Advertisement
  2. XTheEnthusiastX

XTheEnthusiastX Active Member

Approximately how many hours did you sleep each night? I did a battery test on airplane mode (after 100% charge) and didn't touch it for 16 hrs. and it went down 4%. During my normal sleep of 6-7hrs it usually goes down 2% (with WiFi and data off). I don't know if my phone is above-average efficient when its asleep, but it seems to drain pretty fast when I surf the web on WiFi ~1% every 2 mins lol.

3. fatedcircle

I slept about 6 hours a night. When I'm surfing the web on 3g I get about 3 minutes per 1%. This is about the same on my first phone and the new replacement.

4. fatedcircle

Oh and I just turned 3g back on for my drive to work and it dropped about 4% in about an hour and 15 mins. the display was on for about 6 minutes to check a text and an email and turn off my alarm.

5. George0211

George0211 Well-Known Member

Last week, I went to bed right after the I charged the phone (it died on me). Got up about 7 hours later, and the charge went down 6% and that's with everything turned on.

Which firmware are you running. If you're still running the stock firmware, it's awful with battery life. Jh2 and JH3 firmware have a much improved battery life.

6. fatedcircle

I am still running the stock firmware. Do u have any more informationon JH2 and JH3 (how to flash them/ where i can find them)? This is my first android phone so im really new to this whole rooting and flashing roms thing.

7. locsplitter

locsplitter Active Member

This. Please enlighten.

8. cantim

cantim Member

Bump! I would like to know as well

9. Dennis_Bham

Dennis_Bham Well-Known Member

What method are you using to switch it to "just 2G" ???

10. fatedcircle

Im using the app SamServMode. Open that up then: debug menu, phone control, UE state control and then you can force the phone into 2G or 3G from there from choosing to change the RAT to GSM (2G) or WCDMA (3G).

Anyways, does anyone else have any answer to my questions in my original post?