Weird button behaviourSupport

Last Updated:

1. funkyseasider

funkyseasider Member This Topic's Starter

Hi,

My galaxy i7500 has been pretty good up to now but since the weekend has been behaving really strangely.

If I press and hold the lock key it accesses the camera. Then I press the back key and the task window and samsung keyboard open. If I try and lock the screen my call log comes up, if I press it again it calls the last person in I phoned. The result is I can't turn the screen off. The camera button seems to do nothing unless I hold it then the task window opens.

It seems like the button mappings have got all screwed, I am going to do a factory reset in a while but just wondered if anyone had come across it and if they have, is there a simple setting I can change to 'remap' the keys?

My ultimate fear is that one of the buttons has somehow jammed into the 'on' position and android is reading all button events as two (the one you press plus the jammed one) in which case I'm going back to the shop!

To be clear its the two buttons on the right side of the phone which don't behave themselves...

Advertisement
  2. DaSchmarotzer

DaSchmarotzer Blame it on me VIP Member

Never heard of this issue before, it sure is weird. I hope a factory reset fixes it for you, as I don't really have other ideas.

Good luck!

3. Kamala

Kamala Well-Known Member

I had the same issue. My problem was camera button. It got half-jammed. Somehow I manage to loose it, and then I have no problem with other keys.
    But I still cant make it work properly, have to open case and see why camera button is getting jammed. Simple solution is "dont use cam button".

Btw Has anyone opened Galaxy before, is there only 6 screws behind or I have to something more.

4. mikeluck1981

mikeluck1981 Guest

I tried holding every button one at a time while locking & unlocking & could not recreare this behaviour. Hopefuly a factory reset gets it, if not its a nasty HW fault.

(Tried on Galaxo)

5. Willd

Willd Member

It sounds like you've gotten some damp issues..
    Shut it off and leave it a dry slightly heated place for a day, and you might be lucky :)

6. Relkino

Relkino New Member

Hi, I live in India (Mumbai) and have a very peculiar situation regarding the buttons and touch screen. When I travel to another city, I do so by train. So when I am out of my home network (Mumbai), I go through a few "roaming" networks. That is when the "R" shows up inside the black box with the signal strength. Then I travel further (Hyderabad). Technically I am still roaming (Hyderabad), but the "R" disappears. Which means the phone thinks I am back in my home network, but im not.

Now the fun starts - when I am in a physically in another city (which is a roaming network), the phone does not show me as roaming. When I want to use the phone, like dial a number, suddenly the Volume automatically shoots up to max, the contact list opens, a number is selected randomly and the messaging app opens. This is just one example - my point is random keys or menus are selected. With much difficulty of fighting with the keys who in most cases are faster than me, I am still able to make and receive calls, txt and browse etc.

On my way back to my home city (Mumbai), when I pass through one of the roaming networks, the "R" shows up and the phone is back to normal. When I am back home, the "R" goes (as it is supposed to), and the phone is working fine.

My observation is - when I am roaming and the phone does not recognize the "roaming", it means no "R", and leads to the odd / random behavior. I come back to my home city and its all good.

I showed the phone to the Samsung Service Center in Hyderabad where this problem happened and he was zapped. He did a reset, but no luck. I could not get the phone serviced / fixed there, since I bought the phone from Mumbai (my home city). The problem is I cant show the Samsung guys what the problem is as the problem can not be demo'd in my home city :)

Anyone seen anything like this???

Cheers & Waka Waka
    Prashant