Weird Complaint on the Hero.

Last Updated:

1. Darth Pooh

Darth Pooh Active Member This Topic's Starter

So... I picked this sucker up about 10 days ago, and I am REALLY impressed. Android has come a long way in terms of last years 1.0.

I am a Pre user as well (have both phones activated) and have been a Palm user (Treos both POS and WM) in the years before that.

So my issue is this, I've never been with a smartphone without a physical keyboard... so now, with the Hero (which has it's faults / quirks) is actually wreaking havoc on my hands! It's weird... My pinky finger has to rest under the bottom of the phone near the USB port to support my typing and general handling. I noticed I did this with the Pre but could easily solve it by sliding the keyboard up and changing the center of gravity; can't do this with the Hero. I suppose it's so thin that I feel like it's always going to drop out of my hand if I hold it another way. I am waiting for the extended battery to make it thicker (one of the reasons I like the Moment is the size and keyboard, but everything else is a fail on it... go check out that forum if you don't believe me).

Any one have a solution or the same experience? I haven't read about this issue with anyone else but maybe they didn't want to sound like a sissy with crampy hands :)

-Keith

Advertisement
  2. quentinfisher

quentinfisher Well-Known Member

Not much we can do in terms of design issues short of redesigning the phone, and if you have the expertise go for it :). You could invest in a protective case(which I would anyway, especially if your still on the fence about keeping the model) that will add some size to the phone in terms of thickness.

3. cooolone2

cooolone2 Well-Known Member

Have you tried typing in landscape mode?

It is a little different and keys are wider spread. Just a suggestion.
    I moved over from the Palm Treo800w a phone of TORTURE, but liked the small physical keypad too... All things take a little getting used to as with the Palm when I first got it and had to leave T9 behind... :)

4. Darth Pooh

Darth Pooh Active Member This Topic's Starter

I have tried that... and it works, but not always fesible, it seems to cover up some important stuff when texting back in Handcent and GTalk... kinda sucky.

I don't want to return this thing, but I was looking at the Moment and that thing has it's own cluster **** of problems too. Plus Samsungs track record of updates is awful.... but not much worse than HTC's

5. gnarlyDUCK

gnarlyDUCK Well-Known Member

I havent really solved that issue using the phone with one hand.

So, sometimes i place the phone in my left hand and then use my index finger to text.

Or if im at my desk, i usually just keep the phone landscape or vertical and just type while its on the desk.

I bet if you could switch the text field to be on the bottom and the keyboard up top.. it would solve the issue... is this possible?

6. jeffeynboo

jeffeynboo Member

I was having the same issues as Darth; it's much thinner than the Centro that I had been using. I bought a rubberized case from Best Buy and it now feel much more comfortable in my hand.