• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Weird dark spots in screen

I noticed that my screen has some random dark splotches when the screen is showing something black.
Like if I was watching a video and it went to a dark scene where it's just black I can see a few splotches in the screen like ink splotches.
Or if you open an app and during the brief black screen you get sometimes you can see it there too

Is this normal? The screen looks to be fine and responsive otherwise

There are threads all over about it Motorola basically said its a flaw in the amoled screens but that's crap. I've had 3 amoled phones and never had that.

No, Motorola said it is caused by the manufacturing process of the newest SAMOLED screens, so it wouldn't be on prior AMOLED's. Users of the Galaxy Nexus are reporting similar splotches, which would make sense since both screens are made by Samsung.

Upvote 0
I noticed that my screen has some random dark splotches when the screen is showing something black.
Like if I was watching a video and it went to a dark scene where it's just black I can see a few splotches in the screen like ink splotches.
Or if you open an app and during the brief black screen you get sometimes you can see it there too

I just checked mine and I do see the black spots when I looked at it in the dark with a black background. As long as I don't see it during normal use I'm not going to worry about it.

Upvote 0
I just checked mine and I do see the black spots when I looked at it in the dark with a black background. As long as I don't see it during normal use I'm not going to worry about it.

Glad to see that I'm not the only one to see this. I was thinking the same thing, I don't see any affect during use. I just hope it won't be something that we have to deal with down the road.

Upvote 0
i have it to and I'm not buying the whole AMOLED manufacturing issues. I've used AMOLED's almost since their release (zune HD and on from there) and this is the first device to show this issue, my thoughts are that its more so the Pentile matrix, since only AMOLED with a pentile matrix seem to have this issue.

Except for the fact that all Samsung produced AMOLED screens have been PenTile until SAMOLED plus. This includes the Nexus, Droid Incredible, all Galaxy S devices, all PenTile and no splotches or spots. The spots are present in the Razr, Galaxy Nexus, and Galaxy note. If anything it seems to be a problem on SAMOLED screens with resolutions above 800x480.

Upvote 0

Hey,

I have had the same issue - splotches around the screen, can only see them in a dark room, on a black screen ie: startup.

I brought my phone back to Best buy with-in the 14day period and they replaced it for me. $700 phone I'd rather err on the safe side just in case a situation arises.

brucebruce

Upvote 0
Hey,

I have had the same issue - splotches around the screen, can only see them in a dark room, on a black screen ie: startup.

I brought my phone back to Best buy with-in the 14day period and they replaced it for me. $700 phone I'd rather err on the safe side just in case a situation arises.

brucebruce
So the new phone didn't have the splotches?

I think the splotches are probably due to some type of compromise from making the phone so thin, so a screen with a better manufacturing process couldn't be used. I had the original galaxy s, and it absolutely didn't have this issue. With the galaxy s, if you were on a black screen in a completely dark room, you could just barely, and basically not be able to even make out that your phone screen is on. With the RAZR, you can not only tell the screen is on, but you can see these darker splotches on the screen. This is strange.

Reactions: razrmickey
Upvote 0
i have it to and I'm not buying the whole AMOLED manufacturing issues. I've used AMOLED's almost since their release (zune HD and on from there) and this is the first device to show this issue, my thoughts are that its more so the Pentile matrix, since only AMOLED with a pentile matrix seem to have this issue.

You are talking about AMOLED, only SAMOLED seem to exhibit the issue. See the fancy S in front of AMOLED.

Upvote 0
Hey,

brucebruce

Did the new one have the same issue? I read one user who went through 5 and finally gave up and switched brands. My replacement was a LOT worse than my original. I guess the "S" in SAMOLED stands for "S)plotchy" lol It's not too super after all..

Upvote 0
For anyone who can't see them under normal light, I took a long exposure photo last night, then upped the contrast/messed with the levels today to really show what these things look like. I will post the photo in a minute, as my first post isn't allowed to have links.

EDIT: http://i.imgur.com/TLYe4.jpg

This is on my Galaxy Nexus, but I believe it's what you guys are experiencing.

Upvote 0
Just got a Razr from Rogers here in Canada, and there are some of these spots. One is actually a line that looks like a water droplet running down a window, right at the the left corner. I guess it's not a big deal, but do you think it's worth returning? Will I just be getting another one with the same issue? Rarely do I have a black screen but it is annoying once you notice it lol

Upvote 0
thank god im not the only one who had this issue.noticed it the 2nd day i bought my baby,motorola asked me to come in to the service centre,but since its not an issue for now.ill pass but ill keep tap on it:)cheerz guys!
Same thing here, I noticed the strange dark area under the screen and I was really shocked!! but now after reading ur posts I believe that this is some kind of a glue, myn looks like a splash with small dots around it randomly scattered!!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones