• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Weird data issue with Z3

thedude56

Lurker
Feb 7, 2015
Myself and my partner have recently purchased an Xperia Z3 each running Android 4.4.4 and love it but experiencing a very strange issue with mobile data.

Periodically on both our devices we lose mobile data (no 4G, H/H+ symbol) despite have a good connection. A phone restart fixes the problem but this happens all time and usually when reception is lost and then rejoined. Turning airport mode on does not fix the issue.

We are both on the UK Three Mobile network and have entered the correct APN settings.

Very strangely I have discovered the if I change just the "APN" entry to any random text then go back to mobile network settings the data instantly appears and works again for a period of time! This saves a reboot but the issue returns again once reception is lost :( The official setting for apn is "three.co.uk" but the issue still happens. Very strange that changing just the apn name to anything random fixes it for a bit.

I'm hoping the lollipop update fixes this issue but not holding up hope, any suggestions, or has anyone seen this issue? I suspect this a network issue but have already changed sim cards with no luck.

Also this issue occurs regardless of location and on both our identical devices. Have carried out factory resets too but no joy.

Hi Chris

Yeah think I have managed to sort it...finally! I found you have to go into the service menu by dialing *#*#7378423#*#* then select 'Service settings' and change network mode to WCDMA / LTE only. (Not GSM) as this causes problems on three. If you go back into the 'Mobile Networks' settings in the settings app you have to go through the above procedure again as it resets back to LTE_GMS_WCDMA.

I have also since updated the Lollipop and haven't seen the issue return.

Cheers

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones