weird droid problems

Last Updated:

1. discohornet

discohornet Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I have to say I'm a little frustrated. I was trying to show off the droid to my iphone friend and the web crashed on me twice. I'd press a link to go somewhere and then it would just disappear and I'd be on the home screen. Is this behavior common? Do Iphones have this problem too?

I'm sorry about the comparison but I spent a lot of time trying to decide whether I should go with this or the iphone and i've had at least several instances now of weird quirks.

1) Browser force closing.

2)google search on the desktop - was typing in a search and then all of a sudden you could only see the bottom half of the letters i was typing into the bar. I had to restart to fix this.

3) I was SMS'ing a friend and as I went to retrieve the newest message it changed his name to a different contact name. All of a sudden I thought I accidentally invited my brother out for sushi! Closed it and opened it again and it was fixed.

4)sometimes the unlock works just fine and sometimes it takes two or three tries.

5) sometimes I will end a call, pull the phone away from my ear and it will have gone to sleep. I can't end the call until I unlock the phone then go to phone then press end. I know this might be normal behavior but I would think that the sleep feature wouldn't kick in while you're on a call.

6) just a few random other moments where it seemed to be a little erratic. Wish I remembered specifically, but there have been a few other times like this where I went "Huh?"

I'm sorry if I sound like I'm ragging on it, but I really want a reliable and solid smart phone. I feel like there is still much to, not improve upon so much as just get the thing to do the basics without crashing and stuff. Am i asking too much? Is this a hardware problem or is this android's infancy?

Does anyone have cures for these problems?

I saw a lot of people saying home++ caused a lot of force closes. Would that be the root of some of my problems?

Advertisement
  2. Barbara

Barbara Well-Known Member

I have Home++ and have had none of those issues.

3. messenger13

messenger13 Well-Known Member

My phone does NONE of that ... and I'm a Home++ beta user.

Take your phone back!

4. superdesi

superdesi Well-Known Member

I had home++ and it would force close ALL THE TIME for me. I kinda figured out that I installed many widgets on 7 screens which made it too much for the memory to handle. I've tried all other home apps (pandahome, launcher+, dxtop) and all had the problem of crashing, force closing or "redrawing" widgets. I'm sticking with the stock home from android 2.0.1 and its been good to me so far. Just have to wait for android 2.1 to bring me 5 screens of goodness!

5. zandroid

zandroid Well-Known Member

I had problem number 3 ALL THE TIME with Home++ (which also slowed down my phone altogether) so I uninstalled it, so far no problems at all. Haven't had one force close since I got rid of it.

6. lslanec

lslanec Member

I don't have Home++ and my Droid force closes constantly. I'll finish using it and next time I grab it, it has turned off. I'll have to push the On button several times, for lenghty periods and wait for it to reboot. Very frustrating to say the least.

7. kbayer

kbayer Well-Known Member

Can you uninstall Homeplus and see if the problems persist?

8. lslanec

lslanec Member

Thanks, but I don't have Homeplus. I've tried uninstalling other apps - a few at a time. Hoping this works.;)

9. FlipDroid

FlipDroid Active Member

I have a unique problem I haven't read anywhere yet, but I also know how to fix it. Its irritating to deal with either way.

I stream Pandora all the time in my Nissan altima to my auxiliary port, and I've started using MixZing for mp3s. The problem I have is the same for both but it happens in a specific way for each app. For MixZing if I turn off my car without pausing my music and unplug the cord the sound stops playing (obviously) but it doesn't pause the player. So I pause it hit home and put it to sleep, when I get a phone call or make a call the ear piece has no audio. I have to hard reset to fix this. For Pandora if I unplug it will automatically pause like it should, but if I pause it and unplug it I get the same issue. If I plug it back in play it then unplug it the ear piece works again?

So in conclusion I think the Droid has issues with reading auxiliary ports. I think the biggest issue with this is my altima doesn't disconnect the port even when the car is off so the phone just keeps assuming its playing still.

Anyone else discover this or something similar yet?

10. imtellinhelen

imtellinhelen New Member

I've had tons of audio jack problems with my droid!! In fact that is what brought me to this forum...I have the same pandora problem - if I unplug the audio jack without quitting pandora then it cuts off all sound and I can't hear callers. In the car I use a jupiter jack and my music player will pause, skip songs, etc..randomly and without provocation, and if I'm on a call and turn off my car, then no one can hear me anymore.

ANY HELP??
    :mad: