• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Weird Font Problem

bdaleypsu

Lurker
Jun 20, 2011
Hi:

I just bought a used Defy today with Android 2.2.1 on it. The kid I bought it from did a Master Reset, and when I was setting up the phone I noticed it had a weird gothic-looking font on it. I figured I'd be able to change it later, but I couldn't. So I did another a Master reset - and the weird-looking font came right back.

I downloaded Font Changer, and I was able to change to a more normal-looking font. I checked the fonts installed on the phone, and the files named Clockopia, DefaultFont, DefaultFont-Bold, DefaultFont-Clockopia and DroidSans-Bold are all actually a font called BlackChancery, which is the gothic-looking font.

That's the only thing out of the ordinary I can see on the phone.

I'm just wondering, since the weird font keeps coming back even after a Master Reset, does that mean that the kid installed a custom ROM on the phone?

Is there anything I can do to get rid of this problem? I tried overwriting the bad fonts with the correct fonts using a file manager, but they were all locked.

Any help you can give me would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones