Weird internal memory

Last Updated:

1. gibbs1984

gibbs1984 Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

For the last few weeks I've been hovering around the 15mb mark having to uninstall programs to get new ones etc, no biggy.

Restarted my phone just now, the first time for ages and suddenly the Mini Info Widget said I had 35mb's of memory left, thought this was wrong so checked in the Settings and it says the same in there.

It's no problem because obviously more memory is better but what could have caused it to jump so much?

I haven't deleted anything big, I have cleared the cache of the Internet which was a few mb's which it seem to register anyway so I'm stumped as to why such a big jump?

Advertisement
  2. Infinifail

Infinifail Well-Known Member

Maybe the phone stored some temporarely things that got cleared when you shut the phone off....?

3. el gringo

el gringo Member

The other day I cleared the cache from a lot of the apps installed on my phone and the internal space went from 22mb to 50 odd. Its amazing how much memory some of these apps soak up.

Just go to settings>applications>manage applications, then you can sort by size. Go into the ones at the top and clear the cache.

I wonder whether rebooting your phone had the same effect?

4. Mushhushshu

Mushhushshu Well-Known Member

Rebooting does seem to clear something - not sure what. I have an app that clears all my caches and sometimes I'll do that and then reboot and gain a further couple of megs after rebooting. Assuming its just the way android handles cache/memory, not an expert but certainly dont think its anything to worry about.

5. nacatomi

nacatomi Well-Known Member

Its probably some kind of swap file its using like RAM for paging and a reboot removes it

6. gibbs1984

Would it even us SWAP though?

I suppose if you take out how much stuff is installed on the phone then it doesn't leave a lot of memory left so might have to use it, 15mb out of 147mb is a lot of swap usage though isn't it?

7. nacatomi

nacatomi Well-Known Member

No idea if it does or doesn't. Just one thought where the space could be going and why it would come back after a reboot. Yeah it is a lot of space... But then again Windows wants 1.5X installed RAM for its pagefile so we are lucky there :p .Another thought would be that its just temporary files as Infinity said. But even so its a large chunk of very little space to disappear... Not run into space problems... YET!!
    Roll on FroYo & Apps2SD :D

8. gibbs1984

Very true, roll on FroYo! :D

9. DCFC79

DCFC79 Well-Known Member

whats that app called mate

10. Mushhushshu

Mushhushshu Well-Known Member

"quick app clean cache" I think its paid but pretty cheap. It lists all apps using a cache so its pretty quick to clean them. If youre rooted you can just hit a button to wipe all caches which is sweet.

11. Banzibarn

Banzibarn Well-Known Member

Exactly the same thing happened to me. I use mini info too.