Weird Phone Behavior USB Port RelatedGeneral

Last Updated:

1. emerica243

emerica243 Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

So ive had my eris for about a year now. And now when i plug the usb in to charge the phone, the touchscreen goes all wacky. The phone basically loses full functionality. The light up buttons dont function, you have to try multiple times to get the screen to recognize your finger swipes, etc. If you press on the plastic of the phone around the trackball/usb port the phone goes wacky on screen clicking stuff itsself.

Im guessing something is weirding out with the connections in that area or something making the phone do stuff itsself. I bought the phone from a person online about a year ago, would HTC covery this faultyness of the phone? If so how would i go about the process/how long does it take, etc. Are there any home remedies(taking apart the phone and doing something, etc.)?

Thanks

Advertisement
  2. DDustiNN

DDustiNN Well-Known Member

Does it keep scrolling all the way to the left? It seems to be a pretty common hardware issue on the Eris - defective trackball due to some sort of interference being right by the USB port. It's slowly starting to happen to mine :(

3. emerica243

emerica243 Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

It started just left, with just the trackball issue a month ago. But now when plugged it, its all over the place. Do you know if HTC deals with these issues specifically? since i dont use verizon as my carrier i cant go through them. It would suck if im just sol, seems like a waste of $300 of a phone.

4. DDustiNN

DDustiNN Well-Known Member

I don't know... from what I read, it seems that Verizon was replacing them. You could always call HTC and ask.

5. andrizoid

andrizoid Well-Known Member

ive had 2 replaced for that issue-for free, its a hardware defect, take it into verizon-and ill be getting this current one replaced for the same reason soon.

6. smacky

smacky Banned

I'm sorry, but you haven't had your Eris for a year. No one has.

7. ndsustudent

ndsustudent Well-Known Member

Just remember to remove any "unauthorized software" from your phone before you bring it in, i.e. 2.2, or other random roms.

I just had the same issue appear with my phone but since I forgot to wipe it back to 2.1, they couldn't help me and they voided my warranty!