Weird problem with new screen/digitizerSupport

1. GnatGoSplat

GnatGoSplat Well-Known Member

I bought a cracked screen Droid Mini. Worked fine other than the shattered glass. I bought a new screen for it from eBay. I've plugged it in to test it, but there is a weird problem in that the screen keeps shutting off and locking the phone, as if I pressed POWER. It does this intermittently. Oddly enough, when I'm in Settings or Chrome, I can't get it to happen. Only seems to happen on the Home screen. Do I have a bad digitizer, or does this phone have some kind of active motion detection that thinks I'm turning the phone upside-down and therefore locking the screen? I kind of wonder about some kind of motion detector because I haven't seen this happen once when in Chrome, but on the home screen it happens frequently and unexpectedly.

I can no longer test to see if this happens with the original screen because I accidentally cracked it after I got it out.

Advertisement
    :
  2. BRAINZ2013

BRAINZ2013 Well-Known Member Contributor

May I ask did you do a factory reset to the device .can I ask where did you get from
  3. GnatGoSplat

I did a factory reset with the old screen right before plugging in the new screen, but just did one with the new screen since it couldn't hurt.

Still does it. I can't get it to happen when I'm in the Play Store or Gmail apps either. It seems to be related to the front camera? Sometimes I can wave my hand in front of either the light sensor or front camera and it does it, but only seems to do it at the Home screen. I guess it can't be the screen if I can't get it to happen anywhere else, since the screen doesn't know whether I'm at the Home screen or in an app. Just weird.
  4. BRAINZ2013

BRAINZ2013 Well-Known Member Contributor

You may have switched the camera with the light sensor
  5. GnatGoSplat

I didn't remove either one, and I think they are too different to switch.
    I think it could be the proximity or light sensor. I found this thread:
    https://forums.motorola.com/posts/ab545f0f63
    Could be because the phone is apart, the sensor moves around thinking I'm putting the phone in my pocket. Maybe reassembling it with everything tightened down, it will be fine? Just a little concerned because once the digitizer is attached to the frame, it probably won't come off without risk of breakage.