• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Weird probs...apps disappearing, home screen going blank...

So last night I went to change my battery and when the phone booted back up, a lot of programs were not installed anymore and I was getting about 3 other programs that were force closing right away when it came on. I tried to reinstall the apps, but I was still getting some force closes and general funny stuff going on.

So I factory reset it and started from scratch again today. I got most of my apps reinstalled and thought it was fine. Then just a little while ago, I noticed that I couldn't browse the Internet or use the market. I rebooted and it was fine.

A little while later I went to use my phone to make a call and when I unlocked it, all my home screens were blank! Reboot again and that fixed it.

So the last less than 24 hours have been interesting. I just got this replaced 2, maybe 3 weeks ago because my previous one started to crap out. So, it's not that old and no, I don't abuse it. I don't have a ton of apps installed and nothing weird (atk, non-market apps, non-mainstream apps, etc.).

Any idea what's going on? Did I get another dud? This is getting quite annoying.

I have had a similar problem. I did a factory reset because my battery life seemed to be getting progressively worse. After the reset I installed all my apps again. The next time I rebooted my phone all my home screens were blank. Rebooted and everything returned to normal.

I had to re-install about half of my programs, they wouldn't come back after a reboot.

Upvote 0
Just got back from Verizon and as soon as the guy looked at my phone, he knew what the problem was! Ug...yeah, he says I need a task killer. Yeah, I'm not so sure about that. From what I've read and even been told by other Verizon reps, task killers are not recommended. But he insisted that was the issue. And he writes Android apps, so he should know! :grumble: :grumble:

So, long story short, I let him install atk on my Incredible. But I'm sure I'll be back there soon with the same problem.

Upvote 0
Went to Verizon yesterday and the same guy who helped me on Saturday happened to be there. He was surprised that it was still rebooting. But happy that my programs haven't disappeared or any messages. He considered that fixed. Yeah, okay...anyway.

He ordered a replacement for me. I should be getting it tomorrow. I also asked if they could send me a replacement battery since that is the only common thing so far. So he did.

We'll see.

Oh, one more thing. He said that he talked to the HTC rep on Sunday and according to him, the Incredible was designed to need a task killer. WTF?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones