Weird situation with Droid purchase/return...

Last Updated:

1. Droidmaniac

Droidmaniac Active Member This Topic's Starter

I purchased the Droid thru Amazon for $119.
    To make a long story short, I could not get a signal and Verizon sent a tech to confirm that coverage was spotty or non-existent in my area. (Verizon's maps showed it as STRONG).

The tech confirmed no coverage, so they let me out of the contract of course, without penalty. I called Amazon for return authorization. Chatting with the clerk, I sadly said something about hating to see it go.

He asked why not keep it?

I didn't snap at the time, I just explained that without coverage, I'd start shopping for something else. He emailed my return labels and I boxed it up.

This morning, it dawned on me -- really, why not keep it?
    Is there a penalty that will be imposed or some secret fee that I will be billed for without knowing it?

I mean, even though it's disconnected, it still works with wifi at home.
    And who knows, maybe they will install a tower in 6 months as they said they MIGHT. Then I could open another contract.

I couldn't find anything on Amazon or Verizon's site saying that the phone must be returned. Yet, it doesn't feel right when others are paying $500 plus for this phone....

What am I missing?:confused:

Advertisement
  2. meekrab

meekrab Well-Known Member

Since verizon opted to terminate the contract, without penalty, I see no reason why there would be any other fees from them. You should speak with amazon, though, since they sold you the phone and would be likely losing money.

I followed your other thread so I know your situation. Sounds like you just got a ridiculously cheap droid without contract. I would hang onto it, or you could make a good chunk of change on ebay. The money you make could go towards your next phone.

Edit:

Or, overclock it until it fries and let us know how fast you get it

3. colnago

colnago Well-Known Member

Join the club on the signal strength problems.

While it would be cool if you got an un-subsidised price of $119 thru amazon (looks like $109 now), I'm pretty sure its because you either started service with a contract, or via an upgrade. In either case, if you cancel service in a certain time frame, amazon requires that you pay the balance of the phone.

AmazonWireless
    Cell phone returns

Returning a cell phone does not automatically cancel the service contract with your carrier.
    If you are returning a phone, you will need to contact the carrier directly to cancel your service plan. Your cellular carrier will still charge you a prorated fee for the time you had the phone and service, including any additional roaming or long-distance fees and any extra minutes you used. In addition, your carrier may impose fees based on the early termination of your service contract. Also, activation fees are generally nonrefundable. For specific answers regarding service-plan cancellations, please contact your carrier directly.
    Note, should you cancel your service with the carrier within 181 days, you may also be subject to an additional fee in accordance with the AmazonWireless Instant Discount.

AmazonWireless

AmazonWireless Instant Discount Policy

When you purchase your device with service from AmazonWireless.com, we automatically pass along an instant discount from the carrier to you. This discount has been provided to you based on your agreement to (a) activate a new, or extend an existing, line of service for this device with the carrier, and (b) maintain this service in good standing for a minimum of 181 consecutive days. If you do not activate or extend a line of service in connection with this device, or if your service is canceled/disconnected before 181 consecutive days, AmazonWireless.com will charge you $250 per device, plus applicable taxes.

4. meekrab

That is a shame

5. kbayer

kbayer Well-Known Member

Mine's boxed up as well, for the same reason... having an emotionally hard time taking it to FedEx.:(
    I see the hype and excitement with everyone rooting and going with Bugless Beauty and wow... I don't think any other phone has ever generated so much electricity among it's users (or ever will again). There's gotta be another way.:cool:

6. meekrab

Well, you could pay retail for it....